starting strength gym

Thread: Training changes while aging

Default Training changes while aging

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,
    I've been following you for a lot of years and recently I really appreciate your videos on the SS channel.
    I am interested in how you train the coo..re.. (maybe others O were needed?). Just kiddin'.
    Seriously, I'd like to know how did you change your training along with the years. I'm just curious but I guess that would serve as an example for all of us who, like me, are trying to find the right dose of training in our busy lives. Strength training has been a fundamental part of my life for years and I hope I'll be able to train in the future but lately I'm struggling to find the right amount of training to get stronger. I've bought the BB Prescription by the way.

One last question just after your last video with Mr. Robert Santana: I'm almost 53, intermediate lifter, I'm 5'5 and 171. How much more weight should I gain in your opinion?

Thanks a lot, even if you can't run (why don't you put it on a T-Shirt: Rippetoe can't run)

David

Training for "People of Age" depends on your injury history as much as anything. If you're healthy, you titrate your load up to tolerance just like anybody else. If you've got lots of joint issues, chronic pain will limit your volume tolerance at least as much as your age will. In general, do the least amount you can to get the training effect you want. IOW, if you get cocky one day and think, "That felt pretty good, I think I'll do another set," don't do the extra set. Save it for the next workout, where it might come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Training for "People of Age" depends on your injury history as much as anything. If you're healthy, you titrate your load up to tolerance just like anybody else. If you've got lots of joint issues, chronic pain will limit your volume tolerance at least as much as your age will. In general, do the least amount you can to get the training effect you want. IOW, if you get cocky one day and think, "That felt pretty good, I think I'll do another set," don't do the extra set. Save it for the next workout, where it might come in handy.
    That makes sense.
    Thanks a lot Mark.