starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength and the Prostate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    PRACTICAL BLADDER PROGRAMMING:

I suspect that replying to this post with my N=1 (i.e. one man's experiment) experience on this topic may be a decision I'll regret, but since this forum has helped me in many ways, here it goes anyway.

First of all, I am not a doctor, a trainer, a nurse, or anything like that, what I am is an soon-to-be-sixty guy with a scientific background and a personal interest in solving this nightime peeing issue.

What I've done is to apply some of the ideas, training approach, and techniques (stress/recovery/adaptation, progressive overload, sarcopenia/osteopenia, aging syndrome, etc.) from SS, PP, and TBBP to the much neglected muscle, the bladder. (BTW, based on an informal survey of a few people I know well enough to ask such a question, many of them did not realize that the bladder is a muscle).

Here's a quick summary of facts that I've empirically validated.

The typical bladder can hold about 12-16oz of liquid. The stimulus to pee can come from either, a relatively full bladder, or a some irritants (like coffee or alcohol) that the body wants to expel—especially if highly concentrated (e.g., a single-shot 1oz espresso can trigger the stimulus more quickly than a 6-8oz American coffee).

The stimulus, especially the first one, does not mean you HAVE to go. It's a gentle, conservative reminder to stray not too far from a bathroom. It's not a good idea to pee at the first stimulus because, over time, you will train your bladder to trigger the stimulus more and more frequently, when you are nowhere near capacity. Also, I suppose, the bladder itself (being a muscle) may "decide" to shrink a bit because it sees no need to hold a beercan's worth of liquid if most of the time it gets to be emptied when with just a few ounces.

Armed with this knowledge, I decided to apply progressive overload and push my bladder—not to "failure" but to a few more reps (in SS parlance).

NOVICE LINEAR PROGRESSION: I am pleased to report that I was able to increase the bladder capacity and thus the "time-between-sets" by at least 40% in just a couple of weeks. Which can make a difference of waking up one less time at night. I suspect that even more progress is possible and when my gains taper off I might have to switch to the Texas Method or HML strategy (just joking.)

All kidding aside, like most of our body parts and organs, the bladder and all the related "wiring" respond to stimuli. And just like our muscles and bones, the effects of aging can be slowed-down and even reversed ... at least for a while.

There it is, I am fully prepared for being made fun of and a slew of puns and jokes.

PS I should point out that many of the principles from The Barbell Prescription and Practical Programming have found their way in how approach other areas of my life—with great results. So thank you!

I have thought the same thing. Now that I am off the Flowmax. Time to make some bathroom gains. I was up many times last night. I heard the reason many patients don't make it home is because of incontinence! So I will start working that PC muscle too!

I got a nice certificate for completing radiology. I am going to hang it on my office ego wall right next to my starting strength seminar one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I got the opposite problem. Peeing a lot more since training, maybe cos of fluid intake.

Pisses me off.
    I've mentioned this before, but I went through a period when I was needing to pee more often because I couldn't fully empty my bladder when I did pee. Wake up to pee, pee just a little, wake up needing to go again soon after.

I self-diagnosed this as prostate-related (although a doctor found no issues). The supplement DIM Diindolylmethane: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning solved the issue for me. I highly recommend giving it a try for anyone having the same problem.

I get made fun of if I mention the other beneficial effects of DIM, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but I went through a period when I was needing to pee more often because I couldn't fully empty my bladder when I did pee. Wake up to pee, pee just a little, wake up needing to go again soon after.

I self-diagnosed this as prostate-related (although a doctor found no issues). The supplement DIM Diindolylmethane: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning solved the issue for me. I highly recommend giving it a try for anyone having the same problem.

I get made fun of if I mention the other beneficial effects of DIM, so I won't.
    I'll be honest, I rarely sleep 11 pm to 7 am and I think that's the reason why I keep waking up at night to go pee. On vacation last year I did sleep the whole night through and I found myself waking up at 8 to pee, when I would've woken up anyway. This isn't always consistent, but it's not far off. I don't wake up at 2 am or 4 am to go pee. Think I just need to fix my sleep schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I'll be honest, I rarely sleep 11 pm to 7 am and I think that's the reason why I keep waking up at night to go pee. On vacation last year I did sleep the whole night through and I found myself waking up at 8 to pee, when I would've woken up anyway. This isn't always consistent, but it's not far off. I don't wake up at 2 am or 4 am to go pee. Think I just need to fix my sleep schedule.
    Somewhat off topic, but another thing I discovered recently that seems to help my sleep is to take an over-the-counter stomach acid reducing pill before bed, or with dinner. I tend to eat late and often go to bed feeling full, and I suffer from excess stomach acid. I'd been taking an acid-reducer in the morning, but after a night in which I had a hard time falling asleep due to acid burps, I started taking one before bed as well and I notice an improvement in my sleep. The result is that I'm getting up to pee less often during the night. As if some of the time it was a stomach issue that actually woke me up, not the urge to urinate.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
    PRACTICAL BLADDER PROGRAMMING:

I suspect that replying to this post with my N=1 (i.e. one man's experiment) experience on this topic may be a decision I'll regret, but since this forum has helped me in many ways, here it goes anyway.

First of all, I am not a doctor, a trainer, a nurse, or anything like that, what I am is an soon-to-be-sixty guy with a scientific background and a personal interest in solving this nightime peeing issue.

What I've done is to apply some of the ideas, training approach, and techniques (stress/recovery/adaptation, progressive overload, sarcopenia/osteopenia, aging syndrome, etc.) from SS, PP, and TBBP to the much neglected muscle, the bladder. (BTW, based on an informal survey of a few people I know well enough to ask such a question, many of them did not realize that the bladder is a muscle).

Here's a quick summary of facts that I've empirically validated.

The typical bladder can hold about 12-16oz of liquid. The stimulus to pee can come from either, a relatively full bladder, or a some irritants (like coffee or alcohol) that the body wants to expel—especially if highly concentrated (e.g., a single-shot 1oz espresso can trigger the stimulus more quickly than a 6-8oz American coffee).

The stimulus, especially the first one, does not mean you HAVE to go. It's a gentle, conservative reminder to stray not too far from a bathroom. It's not a good idea to pee at the first stimulus because, over time, you will train your bladder to trigger the stimulus more and more frequently, when you are nowhere near capacity. Also, I suppose, the bladder itself (being a muscle) may "decide" to shrink a bit because it sees no need to hold a beercan's worth of liquid if most of the time it gets to be emptied when with just a few ounces.

Armed with this knowledge, I decided to apply progressive overload and push my bladder—not to "failure" but to a few more reps (in SS parlance).

NOVICE LINEAR PROGRESSION: I am pleased to report that I was able to increase the bladder capacity and thus the "time-between-sets" by at least 40% in just a couple of weeks. Which can make a difference of waking up one less time at night. I suspect that even more progress is possible and when my gains taper off I might have to switch to the Texas Method or HML strategy (just joking.)

All kidding aside, like most of our body parts and organs, the bladder and all the related "wiring" respond to stimuli. And just like our muscles and bones, the effects of aging can be slowed-down and even reversed ... at least for a while.

There it is, I am fully prepared for being made fun of and a slew of puns and jokes.

PS I should point out that many of the principles from The Barbell Prescription and Practical Programming have found their way in how approach other areas of my life—with great results. So thank you!
    I like this. Will try. Did you essentially just try to hold it as long as you can every time but not to failure? No light days right?

I had TURP done 16 years ago due to BPH. My problem was during the day I couldn't empty my bladder and had the urge to urinate every 30 minutes. After a trip to the ER and a cathuerization and some tests it was recommend to go for the procedure. So far no more problems. I sleep most nights about 7 straight hours. I can go hours during the day without having to look for a restroom, unlike most of my friends. I do take an OTC supplement made for prostate support just as insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I like this. Will try. Did you essentially just try to hold it as long as you can every time but not to failure? No light days right?
    Hi Ryan, thanks.

As an SS coach, you are already wonderfully primed not just to experiment with this technique but add your own experience and tweaks. I look forward to learning what you learn.

Now for your question.

I don't recommend going to failure; it would be messy and I don't think it's necessary. But if you are at home or within a few seconds from a bathroom you can try to get pretty close to failure to see how far you can go. Look at your watch when you get the first stimulus and then wait AT LEAST 30 minutes and then keep pushing it to see if you can go 40, 50, .... If you find yourself squeezing your legs and dancing on your feet like a cat on a hot tin roof, then go.

If you want to get scientific about it and test your "one rep max", you wait as much as you can then pee into a calibrated container, or time for how many seconds you pee, to measure progress.

Alternatively, you can just ballpark it using more coarse units of time and evidence. For example, I recently drove about 400 miles (~8 hours) with just two pee stops despite consuming quite a bit of fluid while driving. That's at least one less stop than I would have done in the past. I was able to go about 90 minutes between the first stimulus and having to REALLY go—as in "please let there be a rest stop coming up."

It's a weird topic to be interested in, but since reading TBBP I've started to question and challenge all common-wisdom about aging. And, along with sarcopenia and osteopenia, sleeping less and going to the bathroom too frequently are two of the most common complaints which I believe can be addressed.

---

PS For some people, mostly women and fortunately not me at least for now, there is an issue of weak muscles in what is called the "pelvic floor", which can lead to, ahem, leaks if you hold it in too long. Hence the market for adult diapers. There are some exercises called Kegel exercises that you can use to strengthen these muscles. I suppose they work and can help you hold it in, but I haven't been doing them.

Just one guy’s experience, use it or lose it.
    For me, it turned out to be creatine that caused my frequent urination.
    Had to piss three, four times a night and couldn’t watch a full movie without pee breaks.
    Prostate turned out to be just fine and I couldn’t figure out why this all of a sudden.
    But, when I took a break from creatine all problems went away.
    Could be just me or divine intervention but worth a try.

starting strength coach development program
    Never heard of creatine causing this to happen. Now, if you're taking creatine with a quart of water, I could understand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast