starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength and the Prostate

Default Starting Strength and the Prostate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Curious to know if Starting Strength barbell training has prostate health benefits. Am 63 and have seen a noticeable drop in frequency in waking up to pee at night and less frequency during the day also since starting a squat, DL, bench, press and row 5x5 SS type program 2 years ago. Seems there is a benefit but have never heard anyone mention it before.

I have no data except me. No BPH, same nighttime piss schedule for the past 50 years.

Okay this is my own opinion, but I think that frequency of peeing has nothing to do with BPH. I think it has to do with loss of elasticity of the bladder. As you age, your skin gets less elastic, so why not your bladder. I can see wher BPH can reduce the force of the stream but I don't understand how it could increase frequency. Loss of elasticity in the bladder, however, could increase the frequency. Maybe the training just improves the condition of all systems.

I got the opposite problem. Peeing a lot more since training, maybe cos of fluid intake.

Pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have no data except me. No BPH, same nighttime piss schedule for the past 50 years.
    I find breaking the night time pee pattern helps greatly. If you wake up with the need to pee, especially if you're lying on your back, turn to either side and try to continue sleeping. Lying on your back does not help at all. This will break the night time peeing pattern dependency. You're welcome.

Unless you really really need to pee. Like when you pee for 45 seconds when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Unless you really really need to pee. Like when you pee for 45 seconds when you do.
    In my case (I don't always pee for very long when I wake up), I don't go back to sleep because I usually wake up again anyway. So while rolling over might help me fall asleep again, it won't prevent me from waking up again. I'd rather go pee and sleep than wake up 7 more times at night trying to cheat my bladder.

Better to just pee and get it over with, so you can go back to sleep.

I've been meaning to ask about lifting and prostate remedies--I imagine some on these boards are on alpha blockers, shrinkage meds, or have had the TURP or urolift procedures. How do these things affect your lifting?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by evhough View Post
    Curious to know if Starting Strength barbell training has prostate health benefits. Am 63 and have seen a noticeable drop in frequency in waking up to pee at night and less frequency during the day also since starting a squat, DL, bench, press and row 5x5 SS type program 2 years ago. Seems there is a benefit but have never heard anyone mention it before.
    Intense exercise tends to produce deeper sleep, maybe you are just getting a more restful night now. Sleep apnea can often involve frequent urination since you tend not to hit that deep sleep where your body really stops responding to those signals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast