starting strength gym

Thread: Track Cyclists

Default Track Cyclists

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you know of anyone out there using SS for track sprinting these days?

We tried all kinds of things when I was down there. At my fastest all I was doing in the gym was squat, press, clean, and dead lift. I know there weren’t any rubber bands involved, but it seemed to work. Seems trap bars and speeds sensors are all people care about these days and not actually getting strong. Hoping there is some sense out there still.

I don't know any track guys except you and Steve Hill. We'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Kacala View Post
    Do you know of anyone out there using SS for track sprinting these days?
    TO my knowledge (and despite my efforts), no.

We tried all kinds of things when I was down there. At my fastest all I was doing in the gym was squat, press, clean, and dead lift. I know there weren’t any rubber bands involved, but it seemed to work. Seems trap bars and speeds sensors are all people care about these days and not actually getting strong. Hoping there is some sense out there still.
    My experience was the same. When I won the kilo in '06, my 200 was scratching 11.1-11.2 at ADT. '07 I was running 11 flat, and in '08 I did a 10.7. I got stronger (and heavier) each year. Go figure.

Of course, given that Pinot tore a muscle riding a bike in the Tour yesterday, maybe someone someday will apply some common sense. But I doubt it.

Reached out to one of the kids currently in the mix. Program includes jump squats & dead lift with a trap bar, front plank pull-in, split squats, kneeling leg curls and other fun sounding movements. He did clean 100 kg though (weighing in at 205 pounds). It's probably good he isn't lifting with me. I'm obviously not properly equipped. I'm having flash backs to the silly shit I was told to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    TO my knowledge (and despite my efforts), no.

My experience was the same. When I won the kilo in '06, my 200 was scratching 11.1-11.2 at ADT. '07 I was running 11 flat, and in '08 I did a 10.7. I got stronger (and heavier) each year. Go figure.
    When I was down in TX the on the bike training and gear selection was about 5 years behind. Who would of thought squat 475 for 5x5 means you could put something larger than a 98" gear on.

In 2014 I wasn't as strong but had a better idea what to do on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Of course, given that Pinot tore a muscle riding a bike in the Tour yesterday, maybe someone someday will apply some common sense. But I doubt it.
    He didn't, he hurt it in a crash on stage 17.

The medical report said a torn muscle. While being stronger may not have avoided a tear, I am thinking it probably would have helped. #YMMV

starting strength coach development program
    When I was down in TX the on the bike training and gear selection was about 5 years behind. Who would of thought squat 475 for 5x5 means you could put something larger than a 98" gear on.

In 2014 I wasn't as strong but had a better idea what to do on the bike.
    I was even farther behind. All my times were on a 94”