starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip training

Default Grip training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey coach I'm having trouble keeping my grip on my deadlift workset (latest was 320x5) and am looking for advice to improve it. Lately I've resorted to using straps on my workset as a temporary solution but would much rather not use them and I tried an alternating grip but found it to be cumbersome at best. Is the hook grip I use for the power clean a better option, or do you know a grip exercise I can use? As a side note I've been doing SSNLP for about 6wks and love the program getting stronger has made a big difference in my life already and I can't wait to see how it'll keep affecting me.

Just out of curiosity, are you using chalk?

No I am not, do you think that would help?

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Ok just read your input from your book about chalk and apparently my next step is to go get some freaking chalk... Any preferences for chalk? I've seen liquid, block, and loose... Forgive my lack of knowledge coach...

Quote Originally Posted by mzanassi85 View Post
    No I am not, do you think that would help?
    Mmmm, could be wabbit.

From my log:

Dynamic Shrugs: 345 for 3 sets of 5. I decided to proof test the hook grip with a heavier load. It didn't start out well, despite an unchromed bar with fair knurling and some light oxidation. Such oxidation typically makes for a better grip, but I had trouble holding the bar for more than one rep. Then it occurred to me, why not chalk up? Which I did. Huge difference. The bar stuck in my hands like I had gecko pads on my fingers for all 5 reps of the last set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ.
    Nearly choked on my calcium carbonate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ.
    sarcasm,
    this one I get

Quote Originally Posted by mzanassi85 View Post
    Ok just read your input from your book about chalk and apparently my next step is to go get some freaking chalk... Any preferences for chalk? I've seen liquid, block, and loose... Forgive my lack of knowledge coach...
    Liquid. Easy to store, dead convenient and less messy than solid block. It seems better than the block at staying on the hands. I used block for climbing and it seemed to come off very quickly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I used block for climbing and it seemed to come off very quickly.
    Are you guiding OP on which type of chalk to use, having only used one kind yourself for weightlifting?

I find block chalk to be absolutely superior to liquid for weightlifting. It's also (much) cheaper and doesn't have a drying time, which can be distracting just before a set.

Block chalk is a smash away from becoming "loose" chalk (to the displeasure of many gym owners), so it gives you the option to try both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast