starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Gym maintenance

Default Home Gym maintenance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello coach,

Do you think about doing a gym maintenance, tricks of the trade, series in the future? The videos about aplying oil to the bar and finding out if it is bent are very useful. I would love to see more general tips from a decade long gym owner like you.

Also, do you have some advice for home gym owners who live on places with very high humidity? I live in front of a beach, in a tropical climate city, and things are starting to get rusty. The iron plates coating paint is starting to fall off and they are getting rusty spots, I don't if I should aply oil to them because I'm worried about safety.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiDecker View Post
    Hello coach,

Do you think about doing a gym maintenance, tricks of the trade, series in the future? The videos about aplying oil to the bar and finding out if it is bent are very useful. I would love to see more general tips from a decade long gym owner like you.

Also, do you have some advice for home gym owners who live on places with very high humidity? I live in front of a beach, in a tropical climate city, and things are starting to get rusty. The iron plates coating paint is starting to fall off and they are getting rusty spots, I don't if I should aply oil to them because I'm worried about safety.

Thanks.
    Rust isn't a safety issue, it's a long term degradation and aesthetic issue. Read Rip's article on barbell basics and then buy a $10 wire brush and some spray paint. Paint is an excellent way to seal a surface against the air and, by extension, moisture.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Rust isn't a safety issue, it's a long term degradation and aesthetic issue. Read Rip's article on barbell basics and then buy a $10 wire brush and some spray paint. Paint is an excellent way to seal a surface against the air and, by extension, moisture.
    I interpreted this as him wondering if there would be any safety issues associated with applying oil to the plates. Other than the risk of dropping a plate on your toes I'm not sure it would present a safety issue.

Oil to the plates??? Why would anyone do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounded like he was considering applying oil to the plates to prevent rust. Maybe he can season them like a cast iron pan!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It just happens sometimes. I often oil up my body to flex in the mirror before workouts. Sometimes a little oil gets on the plates. It is much better to then cover the whole plate in oil to get that nice, shiny cut appearance than to look like you have dirty plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I interpreted this as him wondering if there would be any safety issues associated with applying oil to the plates. Other than the risk of dropping a plate on your toes I'm not sure it would present a safety issue.
    Please don't do this.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Why not, Andrew? This will be fun!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreiDecker View Post
    The iron plates coating paint is starting to fall off and they are getting rusty spots, I don't if I should aply oil to them because I'm worried about safety.

Thanks.
    Next post:

“Hey Coach, what is the Starr Protocol for rehabbing a broken foot?”

Holy hell. I get mad at guys who are lazy and put big plates on top of little plates, hiding the little plates. Next thing you know someone doesn’t see the small plate, removes the big plate and BOOM!

Time to see the orthopedic surgeon. Talk about messing up your training. I recommend oiling the bar so you can work on your grip strength.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast