starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Gym maintenance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What do you do after loading the bar for a heavy deadlift with oiled plates? Degrease your hands or taking the slip as "grip training"?

I have oiled my plates. I dont always train in my garage, so sometimes my plates go unused for quite a long while. I also "sourced" some 45s that were very heavily rusted. On those, I knocked down the rust with a steel brush, then sprayed the plates with a light oil, then wiped them down with an oily rag. Leaves a very thin protective layer on that impedes rust. I dont keep them slick or wet with oil, but every so often I will use the oily rag to wipe off some of the orange light rust that builds up. Again, I dont use them all the time, so its preventititve. I did have some one inch "training plates" that I use on a 1 inch exercise bar for my kids to play with. These, too, simply live on the bottom of my plate tree, so I just sprayed those with the oil and ignore them. Two years later, despite a damp, humid garage environment, they are still black and unrusted.

If you don't want slippery plates, or oil on your hands while lifting heavy weights, you could use some Rustoleum on the plates instead of oiling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Sounded like he was considering applying oil to the plates to prevent rust. Maybe he can season them like a cast iron pan!
    LMAO that was my first thought to, they were thinking cast iron cookware.

I’ve used hoppes number 9 it’s a gun solvent metal protector

it’s dries isn’t slick and has kept my plates In good shape since the 60s

Just paint the damn plates. Rustoleum has spray paint that can go right over rust.

If you guys are going to do this just coconut oil okay? Vegetable oil is some big pharma, trans fat voodoo shit that you don't want anywhere near your plates.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyjones View Post
    If you guys are going to do this just coconut oil okay? Vegetable oil is some big pharma, trans fat voodoo shit that you don't want anywhere near your plates.
    Forget that: just use lard. Or maybe bacon drippings for the aroma!

It would be nice to have plates as a multitasker. Grease em up, get them seasoned, and use them as a griddle! As thick as the are they should hold a lot of heat!!! When you go camping, you cook that big ass breakfast, and roll right into a squat session!!!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmccoig View Post
    It would be nice to have plates as a multitasker. Grease em up, get them seasoned, and use them as a griddle! As thick as the are they should hold a lot of heat!!! When you go camping, you cook that big ass breakfast, and roll right into a squat session!!!!!
    Imagine a 1.25 inch ribeye cooked in a deep dish York coated with about 1/8 inch of beef tallow. Holy shit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast