starting strength gym

Thread: Geezers and glycolytic work

Default Geezers and glycolytic work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yo Rip,

At the Workshop Saturday, I inquired about glycolytic work for geezers. Since time was growing short, I did not give any background to my question.

In 2003 my wife, who is now 68, had back surgery to remove a cyst attached to her spinal cord. About 6 months later, a hysterectomy. About 8 months after that, a second back surgery to remove another cyst. During the second back surgery, the Orthopod fused S1-L5. Three major surgeries in a 14-month period - in her words, it wrecked her “core.”

Then…In 2016…a third back surgery…to remove another cyst…and a fusion at L5-L4.

She began SS training in late 2014, but has not been that consistent over the years. She restarted training in earnest about 2 months ago and her squat has increased from 75x5x3 to 115x5x3; her deadlift from 95x5 to 150x3x2. She's lost about 1/2 in. off her waist; but she really wants to lose more, and faster, if possible.

She lifts 2X/week, then 20 min. cardio on an elliptical.

Based on your response, I'm thinking that 2 additional cardio sessions per week, with a prowler, would be about right.

Reasonable?

Thanks; and thanks to you/Nick for a great Workshop.

-Dennis

If you mean to use the extra "cardio" to drop her bodyfat, it doesn't work. And it will interfere with her strength training.

roger that