starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tofu and climate change

Default Tofu and climate change

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change) have advised that western countries and places like Texas should stop eating meat to arrest the snowballing effect of "climate change". So how will chicken fried tofu taste for you folk over there? Yum!

However it is so bad over here at the moment, it is freezing, the coldest it has been for 15 years. Why can't we get some global warming here in the winter, I train better in the heat.

Some of the city councils here have declared "climate emergencies" are were going nuts? If it is still hot in Texas can I come over there?

I will never know how chicken fried tofu tastes.

wal, leftist greenies have been saying this since the early 70s in the US. The book Diet for a Small Planet written back then was aaaall about this imminent threat that would end human life as we know it in a mere 10 years.

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    If it is still hot in Texas can I come over there?
    HAHAHAH, 102 degrees today... yeah, it's still hot in Texas. It will still be hot in October. ("Hot" being, let's say, 88 and up.)

Bet it tastes like chicken...

Quote Originally Posted by BroadDaylight View Post
    HAHAHAH, 102 degrees today... yeah, it's still hot in Texas. It will still be hot in October. ("Hot" being, let's say, 88 and up.)
    Ahh! Global warming. We get it here every summer. At the moment it is fffffffffreezing, if it gets any colder I will have to sit in the blast freezer down at the meat works to warm up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    wal, leftist greenies have been saying this since the early 70s in the US. The book Diet for a Small Planet written back then was aaaall about this imminent threat that would end human life as we know it in a mere 10 years.

Oops!
    Mark when I was in school back in the 50's and 60's they taught me how to read, write and add up, however today the schools and Uni's are salted with what I call watermelon politics, green on the outside and red on the inside. Primary and High Schools kids go on strike here from time to time and superglue themselves to the major roads as a protest over the the "changing climate". If you folk don't keep the Democrats out at the next federal election and you get a "Bernie Sander"s type back in government, well you probably don't want to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well,the next time you are at the supermarket buy a slab of tofu and stick it on the barbie, you might have to marinate it for a few weeks before hand though. If the IPCC gain more influence over western government's legislation there will come higher taxes on meat producers so as the put the price out of range for us poorer folk. You see meat animals produce methane which is a green house gas.

Industry will also have to buy the more expensive renewables such as wind and solar and it will cost more for car rego if you continue to drive that infernal internal combustion engine. Of course you could get a reduction in your costs if you buy a Tesla.

You and me were fortunate to grow up in a world where it was reasonably intelligent, but now we are seeing stupid on steroids.

Wouldn't agriculture on the scale where it could entirely replace meat be just pretty bad itself? We'd have to clear huge swaths of land to grow food, destroying any natural habitat and ecology that was there. Then we'd run the soil dry of nutrients because crop rotation isn't a thing when you're focusing entirely on short term yields. We'd have to rely on chemical fertilizers since the livestock that makes the dung for fertilizer isn't around in big enough numbers anymore... I'm sure there are other things but I don't think any solution as extreme as everyone on earth eating only fruit and vegetables will ever be viable. Moderation is usually key.

I think we need to go back to local production. Instead of buying a grape from chile either grow the grapes locally or *gasp* don't eat grapes if you don't live somewhere they are viable. Sustainable and local seems to be the thing that makes the most sense in my head, we just have to be willing to give up some luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Now we are seeing stupid on steroids.
    Nicely demonstrated by your inability to understand the difference between spacial/temporal specific values and spacial/temporal averages.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I think we need to go back to local production. Instead of buying a grape from chile either grow the grapes locally or *gasp* don't eat grapes if you don't live somewhere they are viable. Sustainable and local seems to be the thing that makes the most sense in my head, we just have to be willing to give up some luxuries.
    Here in North Texas we can grow basically two crops: grass and mesquite trees. That leaves us mesquite beans and wheat to eat. It's handy to be able to have cattle to turn the grass into beef.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Nicely demonstrated by your inability to understand the difference between spacial/temporal specific values and spacial/temporal averages.
    Alas, your probably right. I blame it on the fact that I married too early. I did not recognise the differences between the supposed temporal bliss with the ever decreasing averages of a meal on the table when I came home from work, still I solved that conundrum with TV dinners from the freezer section, only takes a few minutes to heat them up you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast