starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tofu and climate change

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    hmmmmm ...

acknowledging Savoy's work, which is predicated on sequestering carbon in the soil through mob grazing, acknowledges the need to take carbon out of the atmosphere to combat man-made global warming .... which is not a thing so I'm told.
    I think thats only PART (and a small part, whcih may really only be a sop to those who believe in that shit) of his theory. Most of it has to do with improving the soil's tilth and water retention qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I will never know how chicken fried tofu tastes.
    Proud to apply for membership in that club.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Anyone who is legitimately interested in this subject needs to be aware of the work done by Alan Savory: here is his TedTalk:

Allan Savory: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change | TED Talk

Basically, he is educating us on how grazing animals can restore fertility, forests and moisture to dry lands. Grazing animals on uncultivatable land, it seems, is both good and necessary.
    That is an interesting point. Up in the high country which is mostly all State National Parks, cattle men had been grazing cattle there for a long time, when the environmentalists got hold of this they promoted the idea that free range cattle were destroying the natural habitat and ecosystems. What these folk failed to understand was that those cattle kept the undergrowth under control thereby mitigating the effects of brushfires during the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I think we need to go back to local production. Instead of buying a grape from chile either grow the grapes locally or *gasp* don't eat grapes if you don't live somewhere they are viable. Sustainable and local seems to be the thing that makes the most sense in my head, we just have to be willing to give up some luxuries.
    Goes against the principles of global trade where there has to be free movement of both goods and people. That is why a nationalist president has thrown a spanner in the works by putting in tariffs for subsidised cheap Chinese imports.

Look at as Aussies, we used to have a viable local auto mobile industry here until GM and Ford shut down their factories and now we are flooded with cheap Korean and Chinese cars. GM imports suv's from Mexico and Ford brings in their vehicles from Thailand. We import oranges and walnuts from California, Citrus pulp from south America when we have a huge citrus industry right here. No wonder we are going backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Goes against the principles of global trade where there has to be free movement of both goods and people.
    And capital, may I add, whose freedom of movement has the most wide reaching consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Look at as Aussies, we used to have a viable local auto mobile industry ... No wonder we are going backwards.
    For a counter example, look at countries like Japan, China and Korea, which applied controls to trade in goods and capital to protect their developing industrial sectors (including vehicle making) until they were solid enough to compete on the world stage. This is also what almost every other developed nation in the world did at some point in its history, especially those who are now shouting loudest from free trade.

I would say that, like almost any political construction, free trade has many nuances, and the consequences of free trade policies differ depending on the country they are applied to. It's very rarely beneficial to open a developing economy to unrestricted free trade, because it doesn't give local industry the chance to grow and develop until it can compete with imports from abroad (Ha-Joon Chang develops these points in his very heterodox book Bad Samaritans, which is quite an interesting and entertaining reading).

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    How do people in a country buy imported goods if they have no way to pay for them-if they don't have something to trade (export) in the first place ?

If I want to open a burger bar, should I lobby the Government to ban McDonalds until I can compete on a like for like basis ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123