starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Cardio Better Fighter? | Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Better Cardio Better Fighter? | Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

This is a pretty bad argument in my mind, but I do see where they are coming from. Unfortunately, cardio is extremely important in fighting, in fact more important than strength in my mind, and any fighter in mixed martial arts would say the same. For dumb street fights, have some big strong gorilla beating on a small bjj guy or even wrestler is gonna end badly for him once he gasses in 20 seconds, gets reversed, and tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville_meat View Post
    For dumb street fights, have some big strong gorilla beating on a small bjj guy or even wrestler is gonna end badly for him once he gasses in 20 seconds, gets reversed, and tapped.
    Specifically define what you mean by the term "reversed."

This is a pretty bad argument in my mind, but I do see where they are coming from. Unfortunately, cardio is extremely important in fighting, in fact more important than strength in my mind, and any fighter in mixed martial arts would say the same.
    They're all this stupid?

If big guy is on top punching them, they would get swept then either tapped or beat up on bottom

Haha fair enough. I’m just saying both are important, no need to decrease the value of cardio in order to make your point on how important strength is.

If big guy is on top punching them, they would get swept then either tapped or beat up on bottom
    OK, sorta. But you still seem to either be leaving out some information or operating on an assumption that the combatants are horizontal rather than vertical when engaged. If horizontal, explain how the big guy gets swept. Further, if your assumption of a horizontal engagement is what you were trying to convey, why would the big guy sacrifice or give up his superior height, reach, and mobility by getting down and dirty with the little guy?

It seems as though you have some tunnel vision about how fights in the real world happen and how combatants behave and act in that world.

"Fat drunk and winded is no way to go through life, son" - Dean Wormer

Shouldn't we be drawing a distinction between "fighting" i.e. two hotheads in a bar, and "Fighting," i.e. two meatheads in a ring, octoagon or mat for multiple rounds of multiple minutes each, with the expectation that if one does not best the other, as any as 30 or so minutes of activity is going to be required? Just to be sure that we are discussing the same subject.

One requires far more strength than cardio, the other requires as much cardio as strnegth (which is why the others are professional Fighters, or striving to be).

Because im not a "Fighter, I seek strnegth uber alles and hopefully HOPEFULLY weighing 275 pounds keep the dickheads off my back at the bar. If not, I can always powerclean any dude weighing up to 225 and hulk smash, assuming he is not trained in fighting. Its worked so far. Im a loudmouth drunk and nobody starts shit. Ever.

starting strength coach development program
    Further, if your assumption of a horizontal engagement is what you were trying to convey...
    Most of the fights I've seen end up in some kind of "ground and pound" type situation.

If horizontal, explain how the big guy gets swept.
    Generally speaking the techniques involve isolating or controlling one side of the body ie left arm left leg then off balancing the opponent in that direction to move them to the ground and you on top. Plenty of youtube videos available if you are truly interested in the techniques.

Apparently you are not a big fan of grappling? While I understand the desire to stay upright while fighting lots of times you end up on the ground plus its fun to train anyway. Most of those ground and pound fights I've witnessed involved some kind of wrestling background who went for the quick take down got on top and started punching...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast