starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: Strength and Golf with Jay Livsey

Default Starting Strength Radio: Strength and Golf with Jay Livsey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

What are Mark Wulfe's numbers?

He's just the announcer, 22-year-old kid, doesn't train.

Wow, I like that picture. That's got to be the 16th at Cypress Point. I don't think I'll ever have an opportunity to play there.

I am also jealous of the cypress pic- very cool!
    Rip, thanks for devoting an entire hour to golf. SS barbell training has helped my game in the following ways. I played competitively in high school but now just in leagues. I’m 39 now.
    1. Distance off tee. Probably picked up 15 or so yards.
    2. Distance with irons. I am basically a club stronger throughout the bag.
    3. Grip strength. I can hit the ball out of thick rough easier than before SS.
    4. Proprioception. The SS model really improves your sense of what your body is doing while you are focused on a stationary target. Translates well to making changes in your swing.
    5. Balance. Part of it might just be being heavier, but my balance is better on uneven lies, and even when putting in high winds.
    I actually think SS has the best chance with women trying to make it on the lpga. Most of the male pros seeking a tour card are a lost cause due to how much instruction/grooming they have and the fitness BS already drummed into them—There’s 10x as much money in men’s golf.

Women trying to make it on tour have to do more themselves and might be more open to the concept. Hopefully a bunch will discover SS!

JayLivsey is offline Owner, Starting Strength Denver

They asked for a picture so I figured I'd get them the best one I had! That is #16 at Cypress, I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to play a couple years ago, it's a magical property.

Southpaw, I didn't even think about hitting out of the rough but you're right. There is nothing more punitive than thick rough and having the strength to get the clubhead on the ball can make all the difference. I also think you're right about the regular tour players, they're all brainwashed at this point, gotta stretch! If a Champions Tour guy or LPGA lady would give us a shot, the results would be absolutely amazing.

I can chime in with some practical experience here. Played a whole bunch of golf in 2008. Discovered SS that winter, touched a barbell for the first time while making a very lame attempt at the program. Finished with whopping sets of 5 @ 225 squat, 315 deadlift, 175 bench, and 120 press. Did gain more than a couple pounds in the process. Did not touch a golf club that winter.

Fast forward to spring 2009. Go out for my first 18 of the year, and complain to my playing partner the entire round about how crappy the yardage markers were at that course, as I was sailing every green by a club, sometimes even 2. It didn't dawn on me until later that night or the next day that the barbell training probably had something to do with that.

I enjoyed the pod and forwarded to a few of my golf buddies.

I’ve been following a Starting Strength program since December of 2018 after an 8 year sabbatical from lifting. I've been golfing for 25 years, and until starting a family a few years back, had played at a fairly competitive level. I've always been pretty long thru the bag, but this year I’ve picked up at least 10-15 yards of carry with the driver and I’m about 1/2 to a full club longer with irons. It's honestly a little hard to get used to and to trust, after playing for so long hitting the ball a certain distance.

There’s a short par 4 at my home course that I’ve carried a drive on the green maybe 3 times in my life before this year. The hole typically plays into the wind, and I'm certain every time flown it on the green, it's played downwind. This year, while playing 1-2 times a month, I’ve flown it on the green at least 6 times, and none of those have been downwind.

For Starting Strength to take off for the golfing masses, you'd probably need one of a few things. A high profile, marketable player to start following the program. An up and coming amateur, who's followed the program then has a lot of success upon turning professional (similar to Matthew Wolff and the notoriety his instructor gets because of his unique swing). A journeyman pro, who's bounced around between PGA and development tours, who starts the program, noticeably increases speed and has some top finishes/wins afterwards.

Since it's not uncommon for tour players to work with trainers, it wouldn't be a large leap for them to start working with competent strength coaches. It also helps that the guy that's kicking everyone's ass at the moment, has a physical presence.

starting strength coach development program
    I may be in a position to convince one of these tour level players to get on board with a real strength training program.