starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio topic suggestions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've thought about asking Lyle. He's crazy as hell, but he's a very sharp guy and has made important contributions to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've thought about asking Lyle. He's crazy as hell, but he's a very sharp guy and has made important contributions to the field.
    Yea he's nuts. Remember the whole Zach drama...shot himself in the foot with that one. Lyle's career would have been in a completely different space if his illusions of grandeur could have been kept in check. Then he had his other nutritional expert friends creating accounts on the forum and posting how good of a nutritionist Lyle really was. Sad really. You are right though...he does know his shit.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Not sure if its been done already, but why novice programs with AMRAP, RPE or calculating loads from 1 rep maxes are not advisable.

One more, why do people constantly call chase a genetic freak? besides the fact he looks like a 'roided up child of the corn, would any 19 year old who trained at WFAC from early puberty made the same or similar progress as chase, regardless of their genetic potential?

Is “hand grip strength” some sort of analogue to “standing vertical jump” for measuring “strength” overall for the sake of studies that try to understand the health outcomes of being strong? (I reference this article in a non-academic source - referencing an academic study- just to give a sense of what I mean: High muscle strength could help you live longer, study finds | The Independent)

If not grip strength, then is there something else one could measure - something that would be sensitive enough to show improvement after 6 weeks on a strength-training/gaining program? To me, what would be most interesting would be having a metric that does this and could be applied to large sample sizes and correlated with other health outcomes.

Wouldn’t one be able to do two things with such a measure, in one fell swoop: 1) show that getting stronger makes you healthier and 2) show that Starting Strength is the most efficient way to do that (and/or guide tweaks to the program to make it even better).

I know there is a lot of evidence that both of these things are true, but wouldn’t it be great to have a nice, neat, easily reproducible/hard-to-fuck-uppable measure of “strength” or even (easier) strength improvement?

Does all of this already exist? Is there anyone in the field, doing studies who you respect that you could talk to and explore the issues of how many studies are a mess and what the most solid/stable findings are and speculate some about “study designs somebody ought to fucking do”?

More Bill Starr stories. The coincidental first meeting that Rip wrote about set the stage for what we have now. I know we have published some articles by Bill Starr, but the untold stories......that’s what I want to hear. A young impressionable Rip with Starr, rampaging through the mean streets of Wichita Falls. The statute of limitations has expired, so let’s hear it. Sort of like a north Texas version of Miami Vice.

What about a recovery episode focused on sleep? Something Rip said recently made me reevaluate my sleeping habits, and it’s made a world of difference to my training, squat and press in particular. I feel like programming and nutrition get a lot of attention, but sleep clearly plays a huge role in recovery and it would be great to get some no-nonsense discussion on it.

Would researchers be more useful like Schoenfeld and Contreras?

More useful than what? The measles?

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    Would researchers be more useful like Schoenfeld and Contreras?
    Emil-barbell-band.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Would researchers like Contreras be more useful than athletes/lifters?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast