starting strength gym
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio topic suggestions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I think an honest-to-God debate with someone who is willing to come on and have a discussion with Mark would be invaluable for the propagation of SS. There is no shortage of material presenting arguments in favour of SS, but in none of Mark's material (except perhaps the brief ESPN Crossfit piece) have I seen him debate someone who at least ostensibly knows a thing or two about fitness but has criticisms of the SS method. The existing interviews are all very informative, but adversarial discussion is usually more enlightening than two people agreeing with each other and just trying to tease out biographical information for the sake of the audience. This would help address the general criticism that SS is 'dogmatic.' People tend also to have greater respect for individuals who are willing to defend their views in a public venue.

Of course, finding a sutiable person to debate may be an intractable challenge.

Would love to listen to intermediate programming and programming fundamentals in more detail. And an excellent guest to have on that strengthcast would be Andy Baker who co-authored PPST3 with Rip.

Topics can include
    • Why does 3x3 work better for Bench/OHP while back-offs work better for Squat?
    • HLM
    • Another favorite around here - the 4-day split
    • What are the driving principles of designing a program for yourself? Can this only be learnt by being a coach?
    • How these can be applied for various kinds of lifters e.g. someone in a high stress situation outside of the gym won't be able to do TM justice or even maybe 3-4 days into the gym. How to avoid detraining during life-stress phases?
    • Given that consistently showing up at the gym is the most important component of any program - how does one deal with minor setbacks within a program. Abandon it or deload for a while.

Pretty sure these have been beaten to death on the boards but also don't remember seeing a podcast style video(I know Rip has read excerpts from the book).

Some of my favorite articles on the site have been people’s memories of lifting, like Colin Webster’s article about his dad’s training, or Dr. Ken Leistner’s trip to York Barbell Club. It’d be neat to have people like that as guests once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I vote for Dom Mazzetti.
    second

Why Jason Blaha?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Certainly. And, we should ask PepsiCo take out a 1 minute Super Bowl ad to explain all the reasons why Coca Cola is a far superior product.
    People would love to watch that. Even though your comparison is not the same as what I suggested if you are implying that the only purpose of SS Radio is to advertise then what better show of confidence in your product than to highlight the competition.

I wouldn't even suggest clowns like Blaha or VeganGains in search of cross promotion or drama but closer to the original Starting Strength series from 10 years ago, I still go back and regularly watch those.

Is JB1 Jason Blaha?

That would be very sad.

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but elbow tendinitis deserves exclusive discussion on a podcast. I had it bad, I conquered it with assistance from Robert Santana through correcting my setup during the squat. But the path to correcting it all was a long one...

To open up a possible discussion on a podcast... consider the following

What happens if the tendinitis has progressed so severely that fixing your grip and flared elbows on the squat just isn’t enough to prevent the extreme pain from manifesting as a result of?

On the one hand you don’t want to quit squatting and lose your hard fought progress. And on the other hand, if you don’t actually quit you will experience horrible elbow pain and perhaps cause serious injury to yourself.

Also, such pain as caused by elbow tendinitis is a great indicator of poor technique in any of the exercises because it occurs as a direct result
    of. But in the case of elbow tendinitis that has progressed too far, you’re very likely to experience severe pain despite performing the movement correctly after being coached by an SSC.

In effect you are experiencing a false positive indicator of improper technique. The truth is that you may be performing the squat correctly with regard to grip and setup, but your elbows are already so trashed and irritated that they signal pain back at you regardless of
    Implemented corrections in technique. At this point the elbow pain is too intense to consider proper technique.

How do you preserve gains while adjusting faulty technique so that healing can take place? How do you bring the pain down while preserving the strength acquired through hard work?

In my case I was squatting 315 for 3 sets of 5 and couldn’t go on because my elbow tendonitis had progressed too far. (I also tried to mask it with excessive Advil which backfired horribly while contributing to an acute onset of pain)

Robert Santana implemented a great strategy for me and it worked. Being that we’re good friends he seems to not appreciate the significance of his strategy as it could be applied to others in search of answers.

To be fair, he’s also too busy to care about what I consider to be his ‘amazing’ strategy.

But I think It’s a strategy that could be implemented elsewhere to a lot of trainees. Of course it’s a modification from what’s already written by Rip in his books for general squat grip problems resulting from shoulder inflexibility, etc.

So! Santana’s plan was
    Safety bar squat (8ish weeks) —> high bar squat (8ish weeks) —> back to low bar squat WITH CORRECT GRIP and setup.. by then the pain has
    Subsided enough.... and if not, extend everything out a few more weeks

The most valuable aspect in this method was that high bar squat revealed to me what the correct position of the elbows FELT like during a squat. I had never felt this position before and thus could not identify it in order to Implement it. By the time I met Robert I had already developed these horrible technique habits which he had to undo....

the FEELING of correct position and technique of grip for the low bar squat was something I had not yet experienced despite everyone’s best efforts including my own. Now I’ve got it down and elbow pain is essentially gone.

I am sure there are dozens of elbow issues like mine that could be up for discussion on the podcast

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
    He is a very accomplished powerlifter and coach. He also has an interesting life with a very rich history. He is a lot like you too: libertarian, no nonsense and well read.
    If you're recommending invitation of mentally ill motherfuckers, Lyle would be a much better choice.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast