Thread: Starting Strength Radio topic suggestions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As Mick eluded to:

Contreras. “Researcher.”

The butt guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    Would researchers like Contreras be more useful than athletes/lifters?
    What the hell?

I actually thought Contreras might be an interesting guest. He comes from a physique angle, but so does Mike Matthews and you guys had a great talk. I've seen him say many times that improving strength on the big lifts is the key to improving body composition, and he's a pretty strong dude himself from what I've seen. Of course he's talking about in the 8-12 "hypertrophy range", but there may be more in common there than we expect. Obviously I don't know the guy personally in any way, shape, or form, but I at least get the impression that he'd be open to a conversation without being a dick.

I also think it would be interesting (and potentially hilarious) to hear you guys talk about his beloved hip thrust! It may look silly, but it's a compound barbell lift that can be loaded heavy as fuck. I'd be interested in hearing a discussion of its merits and drawbacks.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    but it's a compound barbell lift that can be loaded heavy as fuck. I'd be interested in hearing a discussion of its merits and drawbacks.
    The only pro I can think of is that you position yourself as a power-top in the mind of every single person at the gym.

Probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    The only pro I can think of is that you position yourself as a power-top in the mind of every single person at the gym.

Probably worth it.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about... If your only response to a discussion of a compound barbell lift that can be loaded almost as heavy as squats and deads is a gay joke, maybe you're missing out on something that's at least worth a casual chat on a podcast. I haven't looked around to see if it's been beaten to death on the forums or in articles already. I suspect it has! But so have many of the topics, and I still enjoy listening. All I'm saying is I'd be interested in listening to the discussion, even if Rip isn't the least bit interested in having it. I thought that was the point of this thread. Again, the Mike Matthews one was great, despite his different focus. Since Contreras also comes from a physique angle, but is also so closely associated with a lift that has at least some overlap with what we do here, I feel like there's potentially an interesting conversation there. Certainly worth more than a dismissive "Huh huh, dat luks ghey."

Also, have you ever had sex with a woman? If your vision of hetero sex doesn't include powerful hip extension, I feel sorry for the ladies in your life

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

This is exactly what I'm talking about... If your only response to a discussion of a compound barbell lift that can be loaded almost as heavy as squats and deads is a gay joke, maybe you're missing out on something that's at least worth a casual chat on a podcast. I haven't looked around to see if it's been beaten to death on the forums or in articles already. I suspect it has! But so have many of the topics, and I still enjoy listening. All I'm saying is I'd be interested in listening to the discussion, even if Rip isn't the least bit interested in having it. I thought that was the point of this thread. Again, the Mike Matthews one was great, despite his different focus. Since Contreras also comes from a physique angle, but is also so closely associated with a lift that has at least some overlap with what we do here, I feel like there's potentially an interesting conversation there. Certainly worth more than a dismissive "Huh huh, dat luks ghey."

Also, have you ever had sex with a woman? If your vision of hetero sex doesn't include powerful hip extension, I feel sorry for the ladies in your life
    Power Top is also a hetero term. Though this might be a better and more entertaining discussion point for the podcast than the efficacy of barbell hip thrust.

If you apply the "most muscle mass over the longest effective range of motion" model, it's very easy to understand why the barbell hip thrust is a sub-optimal lift compared to any form of squat or deadlift.

In terms of safety, its very easy to hyper-extend your lower spine when you're bridging with a loaded, heavy bar sitting on your hips. Besides that, its also very easy to push the bench over backwards when you're leaning your back against it on an angle with a loaded bar. Contreras had to design a custom piece of equipment just so it's safe to do this silly lift.

We're not going to discuss the "barbell hip thrust" with anyone on the podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    Power Top is also a hetero term. Though this might be a better and more entertaining discussion point for the podcast than the efficacy of barbell hip thrust.

If you apply the "most muscle mass over the longest effective range of motion" model, it's very easy to understand why the barbell hip thrust is a sub-optimal lift compared to any form of squat or deadlift.

In terms of safety, its very easy to hyper-extend your lower spine when you're bridging with a loaded, heavy bar sitting on your hips. Besides that, its also very easy to push the bench over backwards when you're leaning your back against it on an angle with a loaded bar. Contreras had to design a custom piece of equipment just so it's safe to do this silly lift.
    Oh I'm well aware of the terminology, but it's more frequently used in the gay/"kink" community. Forgive me if I wasn't giving this community enough credit to draw the distinction. I was just having a bit of fun, because I feel that a lot of resistance to the hip thrust around here is based on how it looks. Hope there's no hard feelings!

I get why it doesn't fit the criteria for being a main lift, but as an assistance or accessory lift? Those often involve sacrificing weight, muscle mass worked, or ROM. All the lifts can be harmful if performed incorrectly. I've actually never performed a hip thrust in my life, but I'd be interested in hearing two intelligent people talk about it.

We're not going to discuss the "barbell hip thrust" with anyone on the podcast.
    Fair enough. I'm just saying that if you were, hypothetically, interested in discussing it, I'd be interested in listening to it. Like I said, I've never performed the lift. I have, however, let my girlfriend (who is kind enough to let me coach her most of the time) alternate it with deadlifts once they got too heavy for her to do every workout. I'm not going to bat for it or anything. I just thought guests like Schoenfeld and Contreras were being dismissed out of hand for being "researchers", or for being the "butt guy," when Contreras might have made for an interesting discussion given that he's the poster boy for a barbell lift that we don't utilize.

CBD and the alleged improved recovery that it can bring. CBD is some type of cannibis oil or derivative (I really have no idea what the hell it is). But now there is a retired NFL Pro Bowler (Gronkowsli) who is touting its benefits in recovering from games.

It will only be a matter of time before one of these companies touts how it will improve strength. Bunch of crap, I know. But in your experience coaching and around the iron game has any trainees or semi competitive lifters used this stuff for pain relief?

starting strength coach development program
    Like I said, I've never performed the lift.
    It's not a Lift. It's short-ROM assistance exercise that is unnecessary. We're not going to discuss the Pec-Deck either.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast