starting strength gym
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio topic suggestions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    At least I didn't call it a Move.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Schoenfeld
    You mean the guy that has his name on about 7 studies per month. Surely he's not in professional research business. Unsurprisingly, he's not very good at designing studies himself when he's a lead researcher.

When Lyle McDonald pointed out his bad research practices, his response was "others do it too". When he didn't blind himself doing the measurements, he responded with: "You can trust me.".

Lyle will be on the podcast 124 times before Schoenfeld is on once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    You mean the guy that has his name on about 7 studies per month. Surely he's not in professional research business. Unsurprisingly, he's not very good at designing studies himself when he's a lead researcher.

When Lyle McDonald pointed out his bad research practices, his response was "others do it too". When he didn't blind himself doing the measurements, he responded with: "You can trust me.".
    Hey now! Don't quote me on Schoenfeld I'm not particularly interested in hearing from him and only mentioned him because someone else did earlier. I was just pushing back a bit about Contreras because, while he's known as a "researcher", at least he's also associated with a heavy barbell short-ROM assistance exercise (not a lift) and I felt like there might be something worth talking about. He considers the barbell hip thrust a core lift, Rip doesn't. Discuss for my enjoyment! Maybe he'd even be interested in discussing some of the limitations of "research" in the field. Who knows? Just my opinion though. I'll be listening to any topics or guests they decide on. In fact, I have a new episode to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    What about a recovery episode focused on sleep? Something Rip said recently made me reevaluate my sleeping habits, and it’s made a world of difference to my training, squat and press in particular. I feel like programming and nutrition get a lot of attention, but sleep clearly plays a huge role in recovery and it would be great to get some no-nonsense discussion on it.
    What was it that Rip said?

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    What was it that Rip said?
    I can’t remember exactly, it was something about sleep being number one in terms of recovery, probably during one of the Q&As. I had always figured I could eat my way through a sleep deficit, but it was totally spot-on, and getting my sleep back on track made a huge difference that was immediately noticeable. My proprioception has been a million times better.

But I have trouble getting quality sleep and often find myself waking up during the night. I’m not sure if there’s enough there to do a full show on this, but it would be great to have some discussion of how to ensure a good night’s sleep and the benefits of getting enough sleep.

Discussion of, preferably scientific research or reviews on, the effects of the main lifts on health of the joints and spine. Notably the squat and the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurR View Post
    Discussion of, preferably scientific research or reviews on, the effects of the main lifts on health of the joints and spine. Notably the squat and the deadlift.
    This has been discussed many times in the science committee reviews and other lectures which are posted on the Starting Strength YouTube channel and on the video section of this website.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This has been discussed many times in the science committee reviews and other lectures which are posted on the Starting Strength YouTube channel and on the video section of this website.
    Yes, I think I saw most of the content. And since most of the resources are there already, I think a lot of people would benefit from a somewhat more compact, summarized and maybe updated version of this knowledge. Some redundancy wouldn't matter I guess, because almost everyone I speak to thinks that lifting hurts your back and knees. Or they are hesitant to start squatting 'because my knees are bad'. Even though I can reference to some of the resources and my personal anecdotal evidence that it fixed my back and knees...

starting strength coach development program
    I think a lot of people would benefit from using the resources we've already provided them -- for free. I think that if you want someone to repackage them so you don't have to do the work yourself, you pay for that. Decide what you want, and place your order. We'll get right on it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast