starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelvic muscle tightness

Default Pelvic muscle tightness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been training for a couple of months on the SS program and have gradually been progressing.

At first I didn't notice any problems but eventually I started feeling tension and stiffness in the pelvic area. This turned into a difficulty with erections, pain when passing urine and some lower back pain. After several months of resting this has improved a lot, but the issues immediately come back as soon as I start any form of even slight training.

I saw several doctors, did an MRI, ruled out inguinal hernia or spinal issues. It turns out that my pelvic muscles are overly tight and inflamed due to the extra pressure that lifting and the valsalva maneuver put on the pelvic floor.

I've heard of many people with pelvic floor weakness, but I hear much less about pelvic floor stiffness, especially in men.

Has anyone encountered this?

The fact that this is the first time I have ever heard of this in 42 years of work in this business leads me to believe that you have a bullshit diagnosis. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

Urologist?

Not sure what you mean by “pelvic area” exactly, but this could be pudendal neuralgia. For this to be caused by Valsalva alone would be hard to imagine. You may have some unusual anatomy and a predisposition to this.

You will just have to figure out your limits with a thoughtful coach who can help with good technique and programming.

Interesting...googling the topic brings up a couple of websites saying that resistance training, pushups, pullups, and abdominal muscle exercises can over-stress the pelvic floor if people have tight pelvic muscles - but that's all I could find on the topic.

if you don't believe in this diagnosis, what would be your hunch? I had the MRI checked by multiple doctors and I haven't had any issues before starting weight training. I've been to multiple urologists and orthopedic doctors none of which could find any issues.

resting helps, but doing any kind of exercise, even simple air squats brings back the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The fact that this is the first time I have ever heard of this in 42 years of work in this business leads me to believe that you have a bullshit diagnosis. I could be wrong, but I'm not.
    Who provided this diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Who provided this diagnosis?
    as I said urologist + orthopedic, I had an MRI done, multiple abdominal ultrasounds, rectal exam, etc. the only detectable symptom is tight pelvic muscles

Quote Originally Posted by david1981 View Post
    . I've been to multiple urologists and orthopedic doctors none of which could find any issues.
    This says more than you know. Sometimes, we must accept the fact that there is no diagnosis to be made. I’ve been in Physical Therapy for quite some time, and your reported diagnosis is outside anything I’ve ever heard of, and, quite honestly, the explanation of what causes the issue sounds like standard PT BS diagnostics. Give a diagnosis that one could not possibly test for or assess, make it seem like the patient requires specialized help, and continue billing insurance. The truth of the matter is this, yes, squatting, deadlifting, etc will help stabilize the pelvic floor, but there is no hypothesis I know of where the pelvic floor muscles can adaptively shorten in response to training.

How are "tight pelvic muscles" detected on an MRI? I think we have a troll here, or a new record in practitioner incompetence.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by david1981 View Post

After several months of resting this has improved a lot, but the issues immediately come back as soon as I start any form of even slight training.
    You have permission to quit training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast