starting strength gym

Thread: back pain vs neck pain

Default back pain vs neck pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark thank you for everything you do..I have learned so much and continue to do so through SS. I recently posted on "managing injuries" about how I recently suffered some nerve impingement in my neck. I have a shitty busted up neck from a motorcycle accident over 20 yrs ago. It has calmed down now and I continued to train through it...mostly pain in right trap..some tingling in hand ..and in arm etc.... I was just reaching my new goal of a 185lb 3X5 squat...(I am 54 @ about 177 lbs) when this happened. My question is this....I have read many articles on here about back pain...and how we all have F..d up degenerated backs over the age of 30, and that we need to for the most part train through it. I recently went to a PT for some help for my neck who said the same thing about degeneration in the neck. Why do you guys not reccommend the same approach overall for the neck as the back? I have listened to you on a podcast or two speak about getting your own neck fused and if I remember correctly the advice was that it can be a good thing for others too. Getting more muscle around the back is a strong old back verses a weak old back! Can it not be the same for the old neck?? What is the difference?

Thank you kindly
    Tom

The difference is the surgery. The cervical spine is not loaded like the lumbar, and cervical fusion surgery tends to heal better with fewer complications than comparable procedures in the lower back. But since surgery is not available to Canadians unless granted by the government, you'll have to try their PT for a while.

Ok yes thank you for response...I understand. I will see how it goes and if further irritation I will look into getting the surgery.
    Thank you

Tom, I have similar neck issues but not as severe as yours. One helpful thing I came across by accident is getting a new bed, one with the motors underneath that can lift up both the head and foot of the bed. I laughed at the sales guy when he mentioned it (I thought it was for geriatrics) but when I tried it out I immediately knew it would help. Forces you to sleep on your back and stay there, keeps neck pretty neutral. I never have neck issues when I wake up anymore, plus higher quality sleep. I’ve pissed away a bunch of money on pillows over the years, this been the best thing for my neck by far. Less snoring too.