starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: The Olympic Weightlifting Show

Default Starting Strength Radio: The Olympic Weightlifting Show

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

The "406" analysis is excellent.
    Was that ever in any other articles or videos? I've consumed a ton of SS content but it seems like the first time I've heard this explanation. I like it a lot.

I use it in the Seminar.

You should check out a guy named Wes Kitts. He’s roughly a top 10 lifter internationally. His snatch is really holding him back a tad. He’s strong enough to get more but for some reason he has not achieved it. I think he’s worth a view or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    You should check out a guy named Wes Kitts. He’s roughly a top 10 lifter internationally. His snatch is really holding him back a tad. He’s strong enough to get more but for some reason he has not achieved it. I think he’s worth a view or two.
    He's is a prime example of limited success of weightlifting in the United States.
    Played American football in college for 4 years. Currently 29.
    Came to the sport late in life ...relatively, for a Weightlifter.
    Still has decent numbers world stage wise.

We occasionally get one of these already-strong athletes with lots of potential. The coaching people do not know what to do with them, and they never do much better than they did coming in. It will happen with Wes. Watch.

I wonder what Ken Patera would recommend. Has he been interviewed by you yet, Rip? Before he dies, you should get him. Get all those old pressing guys interviewed before the pass. Did you ever seak with Schemansky? Any links to that? The older clean and press Weightlifting athletes were all so impressive. Somebody needs to track down Phil Grippaldi and ask about his training, although I think there was an article on him on this site. Im betting there's some real knowledge out there, or at least some intersting anecdote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We occasionally get one of these already-strong athletes with lots of potential. The coaching people do not know what to do with them, and they never do much better than they did coming in. It will happen with Wes. Watch.
    So Dave Spitz, "does not know what to do" with Wes Kitts then?

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    I wonder what Ken Patera would recommend. Has he been interviewed by you yet, Rip? Before he dies, you should get him. Get all those old pressing guys interviewed before the pass. Did you ever seak with Schemansky? Any links to that? The older clean and press Weightlifting athletes were all so impressive. Somebody needs to track down Phil Grippaldi and ask about his training, although I think there was an article on him on this site. Im betting there's some real knowledge out there, or at least some intersting anecdote.
    Patera does not talk to people. Norb is dead, Grippaldi is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    So Dave Spitz, "does not know what to do" with Wes Kitts then?
    Time will tell, as I mentioned.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Time will tell, as I mentioned.
    Rip, are you saying that, just maybe, the best coaches in the US could be doing something differently that would make their trainees better? That the best could be better?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast