starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: Strength and the Media

Default Starting Strength Radio: Strength and the Media

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Wouldn’t it be generally more interesting to point out examples of who is *doing it right*?

I mean by publishing this on a podcast, if you are simply promoting the message “all media is crap”, aren’t you damning your own platform?

In general, bashing “academics” and “the media” is little more than echo-chamber hollering - why not strengthen the true signals that *are* out there rather than just adding to the noise?

(If it is, in your estimation, a lost cause, and you are just aiming to entertain the like-minded, then, of course, what you are doing makes sense - but I have the impression that, in your better moments, your aim is higher.)

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Wouldn’t it be generally more interesting to point out examples of who is *doing it right*?

I mean by publishing this on a podcast, if you are simply promoting the message “all media is crap”, aren’t you damning your own platform?

In general, bashing “academics” and “the media” is little more than echo-chamber hollering - why not strengthen the true signals that *are* out there rather than just adding to the noise?

(If it is, in your estimation, a lost cause, and you are just aiming to entertain the like-minded, then, of course, what you are doing makes sense - but I have the impression that, in your better moments, your aim is higher.)
    Damn, Tallison. Aside from TAC/SS not being part of The Media at all, have you perhaps failed to notice that we publish across the globe and answer questions and donate time and resources to this every single damn day?

We're the ones doing.

How long did it take you to come up with this bizarre angle? Say only nice things? Never instruct about the bad things? Never point out what is wrong? How has that worked out for your country recently?

I‘d be very curious as to what you definition of „the media“ is, if what you are publishing doesn’t fit it.

In my book your content is a prime example of it not all sucking.

Who said „never instruct about the bad things“? I just think „media“ and „academics“ are overly broad, lazy targets, the critique of which often does more to cloud than clarify the discussion.

Which is also not to say that a piece like this one has no place - I just think it would be more useful if it were honed toward a segment of the media or a tendency of the media as a business, and would actually benefit from pointing to examples that show it doesn’t have to be such shit.

Your opinion about the usefulness of my critique is of no interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your opinion about the usefulness of my critique is of no interest to me.
    Yeah, I get that my past typing has burned a bridge, here. I still appreciate what I have learned from what you have written about strength training, so I sometimes genuinely try to contribute to these boards.

I do not write to rile things up -- I honestly believe that lambasting something as general as "the media" diminishes the lambaster and another approach might be more effective to what I perceive to be your goals. If I'm right, then somebody else who has not earned your general disdain will have to agree with me and pick up the line of argument. I'm out of this one.

something as general as "the media"
    Your language, culture, and/or country may be the problem here, tallison. And if you're not bothering to pay attention to the context or meaning - substituting your local use instead - that's on you.

From the #18 episode resources: Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect - don't let this be you.

Do you have any idea how common it is to find people refuse to speak to the THE MEDIA because of how bad they are at the job they pretend to be doing?

My favourite SSC sent this to me yesterday. Hadn't seen it in a while:

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Damn, Tallison. Aside from TAC/SS not being part of The Media at all, have you perhaps failed to notice that we publish across the globe and answer questions and donate time and resources to this every single damn day?

We're the ones doing.
    I gotta say that I agree with the T-Bone here. TAC / SS are certainly part of "The Media"...you guys broadcast publicly and have influence. You carefully edit your materials and take care to publish high-quality content to folks like us around the world. That sure sounds like something a media organization would do. Sure, you ain't Mens Health or ABC news but you guys are part of The Media.

I do have, however, a slightly different take on this and I don't quite understant why Rip gets so jacked up about what other competing media sources say. If they want to take the easy way out and encourage their [readers][customers] to spend their time on a Bowflex, aeorbike, or doing 1 handed star jumps balancing a goat on a kettlebell then great. If their best advice is to ignore scientifically proven methods and their readers are too lazy to do some research of their own...then who gives a shit? Each to their own. Rip doesn't hang out at newstands beating people up that try and buy Mens Fitness, nor does SS spam folks with google ads trying to get them to come to their site instead of others. The quality of the content on SS attracts us and keeps us coming back for more. People that come to SS are doing it because we've done our own research and believe the philosophy and methods preached here are better than the crap available elsewhere in the mainstream fitness media. That makes us stronger, wiser and we thank you for that.

starting strength coach development program
    You don't understand why I get pissed when the media lies to people? Do you get pissed when someone lies to you? Or do you just let it run off your back? If you do, fine. I'm not that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast