starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WFAC Platforms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's Fulcrum's job: find anything to point out, to disagree with, and then do so. We pay him a lot of money for this.
    oh I agree with you: wood or rubber doesn't matter.
    The rubber material I has access to was 2.5m wide; I just simply stacked two of those on the concrete slab. Done.
    Its just better and simpler to just lay one continuous sheet of rubber across where the lifter in going to do his work.

My point was people getting all uber-anal about the material of their shoes and/or platforms, and how silly that is to say they can't/can perceive any kind of deflection.
    I'd argue once a 100 kg man has 150 kg on his back, any sort of halfway decent firm material underfoot is going to compress that 1% anyway just by standing there,
    and reach a point where its not going to compress any farther. No one can't detect this.

Don't get wrong: don't lift is squishy court sport shoes.
    But wood heels, composite plastic, or stacked leather? it doesn't matter.
    Platform material? same thing.

I already made a previous post (sitting in moderation) about wood or hard rubber doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    But has he heard of them? Sorta big animals interacting with the ground via hard, tiny little sorta u-shaped surfaces.
    ha ha, I'll play along...

yes, vaguely familiar with horses.

Yeah, a horse very unnecessary bourgeois first-world luxury thing to have these days....even if you have some kind of purposeless psuedo-ranch where you play cowboy with your spare time. So no, I don't have gobs of experience with horses. But yeah, rubber strong enough to withstand a horses hoof/shoe, strong enough to deadlift from. Got it.

. . . SO HERE'S SOME ACTUAL LIFTING INFORMATION PEOPLE COULD USE:
    I'll add, don't get your horse TRAILER mat mixed up with horse STALL mat material.
    Some horse STALL mats are in fact a little soft and squishy.
    Some might be even textured a bit.
    And/or are dimpled underneath to allow moisture to move around.
    Don't get/order those.
    I was at Tractor Supply the other day, what ever they had that day was in fact squishy,
    made of what can best be described as crumb rubber .... seemed no bueno.

You might want to see what you getting in person, rather than the current trend of ordering everything online.

Never been to WFAC but I just finished my garage gym with stall mat.

I have radiant floor so I couldn't drill into concrete. My platform is 2 layers of 3/4" ply glued and screwed with 3/4" TSC stall mat screwed at the corners.

My rack sits on top of the mat, bolted to the platform with 1/2" carriage bolts up from the bottom, and it barely compresses under full tightening. The whole setup barely moves.

I've used the wood centered ones and lifted at gyms with all rubber. The lifting shoes get awesome grip on the stall mat and if it compresses at all I certainly don't notice it. I prefer it to the wood.

The only time I notice compression or bounce to my whole setup is when I drop weight like setting down a 225 + deadlift, and I think that's a good thing (taking the shock off the floor).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Some horse STALL mats are in fact a little soft and squishy.
    Stall? What is a stall?

Stall? What is a stall?
    It's a room for a horse, but that's not important right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    My point was people getting all uber-anal about the material of their shoes and/or platforms, and how silly that is to say they can't/can perceive any kind of deflection. No OnE caN dETeCt ThIs.
    When my local orange gym installed crappy Eleiko platforms (emphasis on crappy), I definitely felt the difference between whatever mat they had elsewhere and the hard wood on the platform. Not to where I couldn't deadlift 450 on the mat, but I'm kinaesthetically aware enough to notice changes like that under my feet. Guess that makes me silly.

I'd imagine rubber mats would also be a bit safer and less slippery if some doofus spills his gatorade on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I'd imagine rubber mats would also be a bit safer and less slippery if some doofus spills his gatorade on it.
    It would literally absorb it, so it might prevent slipping, but it would be sticky for a while.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Horse trailer mat is not permeable to any serious extent.

starting strength coach development program
    Horse trailer mat is not permeable to any serious extent.
    Ah right. My mistake.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12