starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Pain AC Joint/Impingement Not going away

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Erik, thanks, Are you saying that I got injured because I was too weak? Lifts were still going up and I hadnt been training long but I know they are poor compared to others. Do you suggest that I just try and train through the pain and getting stronger will resolve it?? I somewhat tried when it forst started to hurt that but had to stop as it got so bad I struggled to move my arm some mornings after pressing. That was the point I stopped to see if rest and the physiotherapy would work. Thanks

Perhaps it would behoove the OP to see the SSC inthe UK, Carl Raghavan.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjames View Post
    Hi Erik, thanks, Are you saying that I got injured because I was too weak? Lifts were still going up and I hadnt been training long but I know they are poor compared to others. Do you suggest that I just try and train through the pain and getting stronger will resolve it?? I somewhat tried when it forst started to hurt that but had to stop as it got so bad I struggled to move my arm some mornings after pressing. That was the point I stopped to see if rest and the physiotherapy would work. Thanks
    Again, a bench press video and one of your press would be exceptionally helpful. Pardon me for sounding like a dick here, but you aren’t likely to find many physical therapists / physiotherapists with my level of specialization and I have at least offered my time, free of charge, to provide some “quasi-educated” direction. I will not ask again.

Do you suggest that I just try and train through the pain and getting stronger will resolve it??
    Good time to point out that I’m not a coach, not a doctor. But this is what I did recently, and what I’ve done in the past, and so far it is working.

Had to really check my ego and take my bench press down to 135 and my press down to 105. This made me super mad and I was cussing myself out for about a week. I had just added a bunch of accessory volume, so what I did was get myself super tired and then injured myself using a shaker cup, if you can believe it. LPed back up, very conservatively, with no accessory movements at all (even curls) and microloading the whole way. The first few training sessions hurt like Hell, but I knew the load was right because I had taken the weights way down and movement was tight and controlled the whole way through, and so about thirty minutes after finishing each day, the pain would subside and I would get on with my life. After 2-3 weeks, the pain resolved, and at this rate I should be back where I was in a month and a half. Not easy going and not at all fun, but I don’t hurt all the time, and that’s something I’ve never gotten from taking a lay-off.

YMMV, but from my experience, 1) set the weights light to start, 2) be conservative in your jumps, 3) don’t scrimp on form, 4) make sure you’re sleeping and eating enough, 5) commit to putting the weight on the bar.

Be kind to yourself but firm, like a good parent. Get your rest and don’t be lazy during the reps or start too heavy or push the weight up faster than you should to satisfy your ego, but do slowly raise the load session to session. If you are pressing less than 95 pounds and have been training for over three months, it’s no wonder that you’re having issues with shoulder pain. A stronger shoulder will be more resistant to tweaks, shaker cup-related or otherwise.

I had this on my shoulder before. This is what I did:

1. I stopped benching (if you read Coach regularly you'll see he doesn't bench all the time anymore) completely.
    2. I started the Starr Rehab protocol using the press - I started with a broomstick because it hurt so bad to lift my arm above my shoulder and even with the broomstick I still could not do it.
    3. I stuck with the rehab protocol and pressed my way out of the problem.

Hi Will, No offence meant and I am truly grateful for all the help and input. Im away from home at the moment with no gym access but I will try and get a video of the lifts when I get back later in the week. Would providing the full MRI result text help further as well? Not sure f I can ask this but ..... if form were assumed to be basically ok ( which I know it may not be w/o videos), I have had 2 suggestions from others so far 1) drop the weights and train through the pain ( tried this alreday when it first happened and had to stop though ) and 2 - start the Starr rehab protocol. Do either of these seem appropriate to you from your experience rehabbinh these type of issues? Thanks P.s if we ever meet the beers will be on me, I will even carry them from the bar to you ( if my shoulder works )

Hi Will, No offence meant and I am truly grateful for all the help and input. Im away from home at the moment with no gym access but I will try and get a video of the lifts when I get back later in the week. Would providing the full MRI result text help further as well? Not sure f I can ask this but ..... if form were assumed to be basically ok ( which I know it may not be w/o videos), I have had 2 suggestions from others so far 1) drop the weights and train through the pain ( tried this alreday when it first happened and had to stop though ) and 2 - start the Starr rehab protocol. Do either of these seem appropriate to you from your experience rehabbinh these type of issues? Thanks P.s if we ever meet the beers will be on me, I will even carry them from the bar to you ( if my shoulder works )
    So, you have MRI findings indicative of you having a human shoulder that is older than 20 years of age. By the time an individual makes it to 20 years old, maybe a few years later, virtually all of the articular cartilage in the AC joint is gone. So, radiologic findings of AC joint arthritis are almost a given for anyone over the age of, let's say, 25-30.

That is a HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE assumption to make if we were to assume form is okay. Perhaps form isn't atrocious, but it is probably not optimal for someone with shoulder pain. As far as the suggestions, I do not agree with either of them. But, that is the problem with forum posts crowdsourcing advice, you get a lot of advice, well intentioned as it may be, that just isn't great in the context of what you have.

If we were to "assume" this is bone-related pain, what would we expect something with the repetition scheme of the Starr Rehab protocol to elicit? Think about this for a second. Bone-related / bone stress pain being treated with an extremely high repetition program?

Hi Will,

I have managed to get videos of bench and press. They are not great due to the angles I had to use and not having anyone able to hold the camera. How do I get them to you as I cant add them here as attachments?
    Not sure if this is a good thing or not but they didnt actually hurt to do as such, in fact the ache seemed to get less as I went on but now an hour or so later I feel pretty sore around the topand mainly rear of the ac joint. I only used light weight but I got the feeling that I could have gone a lot heavier without changing the pain during or after. ie I am not sure that the weight used would directly impact the level of pain. Could be wrong about that mind!!! Thanks

Matt

You figure out a way to post them here. It's been done before.

starting strength coach development program
    I have uploaded a press video here, hopefully it works. I will get a bench video done again as that one corrupted.
    YouTube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast