starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Pain AC Joint/Impingement Not going away

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    keep pressing with your wrists bent back like that and soon wrist pain will be worse than your shoulders,
    and your shoulders will feel good

Well, we can certainly forgo “the assumption” that form is good.

Hi, Thanks. So is this form what has caused the shoulder pain? I think my wrists look worse due to the angle and the light weight but point taken, I can try another one a bit heavier and see if that changes anything. Is the whole thing bad or are there specific points?
    Will, where do I go from here, as I still need to figure out what to do to start getting back to lifting. Physios here have said no overhead work etc but I am happy to ignore that as nothing they have given me has done anything at all to improve things. There is an outside chance that I may be able to get to Starting Strength Denver next month if my flight times work out as I am in the area for a short while with work. I am gessing that would be really goo d move if I can make it happen, but what do I start with in the meantime? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjames View Post
    I have uploaded a press video here, hopefully it works. I will get a bench video done again as that one corrupted.
    YouTube
    In addition to your wrists being overly extended, you are allowing your elbows to track behind the bar. Track them out front; don't allow them behind the bar at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    keep pressing with your wrists bent back like that and soon wrist pain will be worse than your shoulders,
    and your shoulders will feel good
    The amount of times that I've tweaked my wrist or shoulders because my press grip sucked is high. I got that fixed and now it's no issue at all.

For OP: YouTube

The grip is really bad. Take a look in the book again. It’s also making it harder to keep your elbows forward at the bottom and it’s resulting in the bar being balanced at the top with your arms in front of it, not locked out properly. It’s not a camera angle thing, trust me. You’re probably using the same grip in your bench press, which in my opinion is even worse (but then I’m biased since this was one of the key ways I messed myself up in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    In addition to your wrists being overly extended, you are allowing your elbows to track behind the bar. Track them out front; don't allow them behind the bar at the bottom.
    mattjames…..heed this advice. This cannot be overstated. You have to fix the wrists and the elbows. Please rewatch the videos on the press and bench press, take the advice to heart, then recreate that in the gym and get new videos.

Thanks for all the feedback and help. I went back to the Big blue book, rewatched the vids and have another video. Hopefully this one is a little better. Will, is this heading in the right direction? I changed the grip entirely (not sure it quite right yet though) and tried to keep my elbows ahead of the bar as much as I could. YouTube

I have also message Jay at Starting Strength Denver as I should be able to get there for a face to face session next month too.

Somewhat better. But still dropping your elbows behind the bar at bottom, esp. on your bounce. I like to think about aiming my elbows forward on the way down. That helps keep them in front of the bar. And then make sure to keep a proud, high chest at bottom. Those two things together should get you 95% of the way there.

starting strength coach development program
    Just out of curiosity, where did you hear the term "proud" referred to the chest position?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast