starting strength gym

Thread: Guy Forer: Physical Training Against Brain Aging

Default Guy Forer: Physical Training Against Brain Aging

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Excellent.

My wife is a nurse who deals with many, older, frail and cognitively impaired patients. In the UK, unless this kind of information is sought specifically, then it's always communicated by health care professionals as 'getting some exercise'. There appears to be nothing specific offered on the process of getting stronger by progressive overload by our doctors, nurses, or therapists.

We have a mental health crisis in the UK which politicians promise to address. This 'addressing' is just code for 'increasing the budget' and taxing various 'sins' like sugar, alcohol and fat. I understand only too well the idea of narrow casting and the preference for a pill over actually putting in some effort, but for our health care professionals it really wouldn't be a big deal to print up a leaflet explaining the basics for those who have managed to avoid, evade or are just ignorant of the necessity for getting under a barbell.

I know so many people that think going for a bit of a walk, or throwing around some pink Dumbbells is what is meant by training. When I correct them, they have a tendency to shake their heads with incredulity and ask 'training for what' at which point I answer 'life'. There is a part of me that has become so cynical that I shouldn't waste the effort; that it's a form of natural selection like those who choose to smoke. It really isn't any of my business if they want to end up needing help to get on the toilet, or wipe away the drool from their open mouths. Then I think 'but what if they don't know' ? What if the medical profession has just been feeding them with the wrong advice ? If some of them had their ignorance dispelled, would they take up training ? Or is this really a business opportunity in a country with ever more ageing adults with cash in their piggy banks ?

I have always suspected a large number of these articles have their genesis in the SS coaching credential written exam.

Which was recently published online by a former chickenshit SSC. We no longer use a written exam. Just so you'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Which was recently published online by a former chickenshit SSC. We no longer use a written exam. Just so you'll know.
    Oh man sorry to hear that Coach. That’s legit intellectual property.

We were changing over anyway. He actually published it after we had.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Didn't know about that. Incredible what people will do.

In that case, I hope the reformation strengthens and improves the process. Coaching is something I have been interested in and may give more consideration to in the future.