starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I think the Blue is a blend, not a vatted. Someone bought me a glass once-- it's very good, don't get me wrong, but it's not all that interesting. Very silky smooth mouthfeel (probably from old grain whiskeys in the blend), and fairly light and sweet. Their Green label was the vatted malt, 15 y/o I think, not sure if they're still making it. It was overpriced by about 30% but if you found it on sale it wasn't a bad value. Frankly, though, there are plenty of single malts with a similar profile at the same price or lower that are better...Clynelish and Springbank come to mind immediately.

You think there is grain whisky in the Blue? Why?

Based on the fact that it says "Blended Scotch Whisky" on the label. Malt only (like the green) used to be called vatted malt, now I believe the regulatory term is "malt blend" or something like that.

That's not a negative, by the way. While grain whisky is generally just filler in cheap, young blended scotch, it plays an entirely different role in older blends. Somewhere on the internet, there is a video with Charlie McLean (it could have been Richard Paterson, but I think it was McLean) talking about how aged grain adds an entirely new dimension to good blends, and how in it's a critical component in terms of balancing the body and marrying the flavors of the super-aged malts that drive the blend.

I've never quite clicked with whisky, although I'm going to a whisky tasting place in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks so perhaps something will click then.

On behalf of my hometown though, I'd like to say fuck Johnnie Walker and I hope the Diageo CEO's next shite is a hedgehog.

I had some friends in Scotland who live on a property that was supplied with water from the same source JW used at the distillery. Interesting.

Said distillery is now a local college and some disused land. There is supposedly a project to reuse it but it looks like a white elephant to me.

Although in more recent years it had become a bottling plant and packaging place rather than where it was blended.

I think this review probably sums it up best;

'Overrated. Popularity does not equal quality'.

JW Green sells for about $70AUD (48US) when on sale. I like it, but I'm a whisky ignoramus.

Four Pillars make a shiraz gin that is expensive, hard to get hold of, but unique. Bloody Shiraz Gin - Four Pillars Gin

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    JW Green sells for about $70AUD (48US) when on sale. I like it, but I'm a whisky ignoramus.

Four Pillars make a shiraz gin that is expensive, hard to get hold of, but unique. Bloody Shiraz Gin - Four Pillars Gin
    Another Aussie? Welcome mate.

I'm going to Four Pillars next week. Hoping to try this famous shiraz gin.

starting strength coach development program
    Having had to give up all spirits some 30 years ago after several unfortunate misunderstandings with bouncers, I can only drool over this thread. However, nowhere do I see mentioned my own favorite brand from back in the day--available only at the Bert Wheeler's chain all over Houston: "Bert Wheeler's Private Stock" $4.39 a quart--magnificent stuff--you could drink it, put it out in a dish to kill rats, or run your jeep with it. Of course, were it available today, inflation would no doubt have raised the price to something more like five bucks, even. Ah--memories!

Best regards,

Russ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast