starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Default Whiskey

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    G'day Rip,

I was wondering if you'd make any changes to this 'beginner' whiskey list below. I can't remember where I saw this, but I believe you put this list together?!

Weller 107
    Rittenhouse Rye BIB - DM
    Eagle Rare 10 - DM
    Willett Rye 3 - DM
    Stagg Jr - DM
    Glenmorangie 10
    Laphroig 10
    MacKenzie Rye
    Old Potrero 18th Century Style Whiskey
    Connemara Peated Irish Whiskey CS

Cheers mate.

The Weller, Willett, Eagle Rare, Stagg JR., and MacKenzie Rye are hard to find in the states these days. Distribution is uneven, and the whiskey guys raid the stores and buy all the stock as soon as it's out, either for themselves or for the secondary market. We may have contributed to this problem. I think that instead of whiskey, gin is interesting. That sector has exploded with variety, and the product doesn't have to be aged so the supply is not bottlenecked.

Tullamore Dew irish whisky is really easy to like. I drink it with a little tap water - no ice - and its a delight. But im a knuckle dragging boozehound, not an effete scotch snob capable of diving “discrete notes of oaky vanilla, citrus and bullshit”. So ymmv.

Thanks Rip - interesting that I can still get Eagle Rare in abundance down here in Australia. Do you suggest I stock up?

I note the explosion in gin production here as well.

Australian distillers are challenging the London gin trade in a bid to be the best in the world - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I guess it's more vesper martini's for all of us!

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The Weller, Willett, Eagle Rare, Stagg JR., and MacKenzie Rye are hard to find in the states these days. Distribution is uneven, and the whiskey guys raid the stores and buy all the stock as soon as it's out, either for themselves or for the secondary market. We may have contributed to this problem. I think that instead of whiskey, gin is interesting. That sector has exploded with variety, and the product doesn't have to be aged so the supply is not bottlenecked.
    I wouldn't mind giving the gin you let me sample in LA another go. What was that product?

Leopold Brothers Summer Gin. Excellent stuff.

Redbreast is a very good Irish Whiskey I've taken a liking to lately. It's a little pricier than most, but very good. Tullamore Dew is also excellent, I prefer it over Jameson.
    Auchentoshan American Oak is a great Scotch that's readily available, and fairly affordable for a single malt.

In addition to gin (which is a great suggestion, by the way), there are some really incredible mezcals making their way to the US market (or were, back when I was still drinking). Sometimes a little tough to find the same product twice, but honestly I was never disappointed with a bottle of mezcal that was from a smallish operation (i.e. not the cheap shit with the worm in the bottle).

I second the suggestion of Redbreast. I think it is the best of the single pot still Irish whiskeys, and my first taste of the fifteen-year was practically a religious experience. The fifteen-year costs about $100 where I live. The twelve-year is really good, too, and runs about $65.

starting strength coach development program
    Leopold Brothers Summer Gin. Excellent stuff.
    And just garnished with a bit of lemon zest, right?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast