starting strength gym
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    There is a gym here that calls itself Starting Strength affiliated (or at least there was before the pandemic. I assume that is a level below being a SS gym.

Valens Strength Training in the Grantville/Mission Gorge area is one of the affiliated gyms, and it is very well outfitted. If I recall correctly they hosted a SS Seminar not too long ago.
    Both of those SS Affiliated gyms are closed, since gyms cannot operate in SD County.

Yes, I hope not permanently. Valens is very close to my house, and was busy enough to not have time/days available that worked with my work schedule. I'll check again when things reopen.

It's permanent. They're gone. Elections have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Both of those SS Affiliated gyms are closed, since gyms cannot operate in SD County.
    Here’s some pushback from the town where I went to HS, in ruralish NE San Diego.

Ramona gym owner facing charges of violating state public health orders | cbs8.com

In fact, I lifted at the above gym not too many years ago, and promoted SS to the owner. He’s a solid guy, and quite the entrepreneur around town.

Singing to the choir here. In my many years, I have never seen a Californian connect his votes to their consequences. It is why I recommend that cities in Texas follow Glenn Reynolds' Welcome Wagon advice.

Apologies if I'm cross posting I thought I posted this earlier this week but can't find it.

Any chance of a UK gym Rip?

Same situation in the UK.

Hi Rip,

An update from the UK:

Gyms have now reopened with some precautionary measures - e.g. my gym requires a slot to be pre-booked, temperature is taken on entry, there's a 1-way system in place to get up to the gym but once on the gym floor, no material changes, other than the communal chalk being removed and the place being awash with hand sanitising gel - and a request to wipe down bars after use. Still very quiet though - I would estimate 10-15% of previous footfall (my gym is in the financial district in central London and everyone's still WFH, so it may be different elsewhere.

Two sessions back, my biggest conundrum is working out why I could press 53kg for 5s in my back garden, with a rubbish 17.5kg 6ft smooth bar with no knurling, no belt and no lifting shoes but only 48kg for 5s with a proper bar back in the gym, with belt and shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Same situation in the UK.
    Thanks Rip I am back in the gym for the last few weeks. Hope you can get something in UK

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinceTree View Post
    Two sessions back, my biggest conundrum is working out why I could press 53kg for 5s in my back garden, with a rubbish 17.5kg 6ft smooth bar with no knurling, no belt and no lifting shoes but only 48kg for 5s with a proper bar back in the gym, with belt and shoes...
    The obvious answers, to me, are plate discrepancy or that not wearing a mask actually matters when lifting.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast