starting strength gym

Thread: 15 year old linear progression

Default 15 year old linear progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My 15 year old has been working the four major lifts since he turned twelve though I wouldn’t say he has done the program due to school, sports practice etc. meaning he has only performed each lift about 1-1.5 times a week on average. He is 5’9” and currently weighs about 170lbs. Over the last few years he has slowly progressed to 130x5, 200x5, 310x5, and 295x5 on the press, bench, squat, and deadlift, respectively. He’s never really experienced a 5lb linear progression due to his age. Now that he’s coming into a ripe age for developing strength, should he ever expect to be capable of anything resembling a 5lb linear progression (assuming appropriate eating and more frequent lifting) or should he expect more modest gains given he has been at it for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlike View Post
    My 15 year old has been working the four major lifts since he turned twelve though I wouldn’t say he has done the program due to school, sports practice etc. meaning he has only performed each lift about 1-1.5 times a week on average. He is 5’9” and currently weighs about 170lbs. Over the last few years he has slowly progressed to 130x5, 200x5, 310x5, and 295x5 on the press, bench, squat, and deadlift, respectively. He’s never really experienced a 5lb linear progression due to his age. Now that he’s coming into a ripe age for developing strength, should he ever expect to be capable of anything resembling a 5lb linear progression (assuming appropriate eating and more frequent lifting) or should he expect more modest gains given he has been at it for some time.
    Why is his deadlift 15lbs lighter than his squat?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Francesco, you're good, you will be able to make a good career as a coach if you decide to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I don’t know for sure. The deadlift has been a struggle for whatever reason. It could partly be due to the fact the squat gets work at school but his only deadlifting occurs at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlike View Post
    I don’t know for sure. The deadlift has been a struggle for whatever reason. It could partly be due to the fact the squat gets work at school but his only deadlifting occurs at the gym.
    Or not loading it enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Your question appears to be "is he an intermediate."

Given that he's gotten these numbers only applying stress once per week, three times a week should act as a more, not less, potent stimulus for growth. Everyone who has not done a linear progression can do a linear progression. It might only last for a couple weeks, but a couple weeks is a lot.