starting strength gym

Thread: Slow walking 35-40 miles per week?

Default Slow walking 35-40 miles per week?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach: I promise I have dug fairly deep into the search button on this but have not found an answer to my specific situation--and I would appreciate your views on the subject--as well as those of anyone else:

I am an older (much older) novice--5-10/216 pounds--doing the program in my third week, and progressing--no doubt with shitty form--but progressing. I have ascertained from my searches that walking (at a relaxed pace), in general constitutes something more like "active rest" than cardio. I have found assurances that say, 1 1/2 miles a day should not interfere with recovery at all.

But I have found that in my daily activities--around the house, mowing the yard, going for walks in the neighborhood--I am covering 35-40 miles per week. Again, nothing like hitting a pace within an aerobic "target range"--more like strolling at a low heart rate.

In your opinion, is that mileage a concern for recovery? (Workouts are: Squat/Bench/Deadlift on Sunday and Squat/Press/Deadlift on Wednesday--so two days rest after the first workout and 3 days after the second.

Thanks very much,

Russ

It is not a concern, because you are already adapted to it.

Coach—thanks much for your prompt reply. When I leaned that my beloved Concept II intense cardio was not consistent with my SS, and further that I was too damned ancient to do three workouts a week and slam down under 200 pound power cleans, I cried like a baby, beat my fists against the wall of my crib, and raged against the machine! Being able to keep my walks is such a relief!

Best regards,

Russ