starting strength gym

Thread: Dominion Strength: The Starting Strength Belt

Default Dominion Strength: The Starting Strength Belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

I’ve been using the 3” single-ply for several months now. The colors/materials/finishes are excellent. I was concerned about the single ply being too thin but didn’t want to spend the extra money on two-ply. As it turns out, I now prefer the extra ply-ability (versus my old belt) so I can cinch it tight and let it conform to my waist, with less pinching. It’s looking great as it ages too with the sweat, chalk, and grease slowly changing the belt’s color.

Grateful to the Dominion crew for manufacturing these. We have them as a standard part of the equipment order in the franchise gyms - for trainees that haven’t yet purchased their own belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    I’ve been using the 3” single-ply for several months now. The colors/materials/finishes are excellent. I was concerned about the single ply being too thin but didn’t want to spend the extra money on two-ply. As it turns out, I now prefer the extra ply-ability (versus my old belt) so I can cinch it tight and let it conform to my waist, with less pinching. It’s looking great as it ages too with the sweat, chalk, and grease slowly changing the belt’s color.

Grateful to the Dominion crew for manufacturing these. We have them as a standard part of the equipment order in the franchise gyms - for trainees that haven’t yet purchased their own belt.
    I ordered a single ply as well for a client of mine. He doesn't seem to have any issues with it. It also came at a very reasonable time. I didn't have to wait four weeks or anything like that.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    I was concerned about the single ply being too thin but didn’t want to spend the extra money on two-ply.
    What was the basis of your concern? Why does the thickness of the belt matter? It's not clear to me what the advantages of two-ply belts are. (In fact, the extra thickness seems like a drawback to me.)

The thickness of the belt makes a huge difference in how it feels. You'll have to experience this for yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    What was the basis of your concern? Why does the thickness of the belt matter? It's not clear to me what the advantages of two-ply belts are. (In fact, the extra thickness seems like a drawback to me.)
    The material properties of the leather are (essentially) identical throughout.
    This means that if you double the thickness, you will get half the elongation from the same amount of tension.

If you like the feel of a little more flex in the belt when you contract your abs, then a single ply is going to preferred.

Personally, I'd prefer to have chainmail as a belt, but I imagine it would hurt.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com