starting strength gym

Thread: Training For Martial Arts

Default Training For Martial Arts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach, can you explain what the heck "tranverse plane" strength is and why we have our top athletes training this way? Am I wrong that the deadlift and squat, etc. is going to give me all the "transverse plane" strength I need? What is post-activation _____ contrast or whatever he said? What is measuring out velocities? What is a landmine concentric squat? What are contrast sets? What is vertical force displacement? What is the triple extension (throwing a medicine ball over your head apparently gives you this)?

I suspect but do not know this is gibberish but this is why I keep asking questions and reading the books. By the way, ppst was excellent.

I do know the answer to this one: throwing a medicine ball is not going to give her explosive strength because I asked you about training martial arts students a while back and you explained the deadlift is going to give us all we need, i.e. a 400 pound deadlifter is going to jerk around a 200 pound deadlifter all day long.

Make no mistake, this is one of our top athletes in the country training this way.

Now, do understand she has to make weight so I know adjusting some things has to be done but this seems a little out of whack.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-19-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Link removed, not giving this shit the clicks

We have addressed this too many times. Gibberish has an appeal to people who are impressed with complexity. He doesn't know how to get her squat to 315, so he does easier shit. She succeeds in spite of this because she's sufficiently talented, strong, and dedicated to be at the top of her game without being at the top of her potential, and this coach keeps his job because it looks like he knows what he's doing. He acquires other clients who cannot think about cause and effect/correlation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have addressed this too many times. Gibberish has an appeal to people who are impressed with complexity. He doesn't know how to get her squat to 315, so he does easier shit. She succeeds in spite of this because she's sufficiently talented, strong, and dedicated to be at the top of her game without being at the top of her potential, and this coach keeps his job because it looks like he knows what he's doing. He acquires other clients who cannot think about cause and effect/correlation.
    I thought so.

This is probably another dumb thing but I have never seen a bar that allows a lifter to do the deadlift while you are "inside" the bar. He has her doing deadlifts this way. What is the purpose of squatting with that weird-looking bar thing or is there one?

It's easier to coach.

How is it possible that Hurling hasn't commented yet?

Explosive triple extension (ankles, knees, hips) is what you train in a power clean, with a power clean you can train loaded to the weight of your MMA opponent.

Novicejay, there are some very good articles on strength and fighting. Go through them, they are very informative and written by some strong SS guys and accomplished grapplers. They know their stuff.

“Transverse plane”. That’s a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    How is it possible that Hurling hasn't commented yet?
    He must be in the hospital.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He must be in the hospital.
    Clearly you know this not to be the case. Seeing as how you've moderated my comment to that fellow geezer in the Petrizzo thread.

Nothing to comment on in this thread because as Gertrude Stein said, "There is no THERE, there."

But you and Chapman? You two carry on.