Starting Strength Culture And Dr John Petrizzo Starting Strength Culture And Dr John Petrizzo

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Starting Strength Culture And Dr John Petrizzo

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Starting Strength Culture And Dr John Petrizzo

    • phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    Dear Rip,

    I have followed the "Starting Strength" forum for the past 9 years, and I would like to commend you on your brand as well as the aggregation of professional individuals that are associated with your website. As a dinosaur (soon to be 66 yrs old) there is very little information available for senior lifters in the way of strength training, programming, and health care that may be necessary due to injury.

    Your website shines a light for a demographic that is too often forgotten about if they are active seniors (God how I hate that term) pursuing strength and health through barbells. I developed a back issue a year ago that has given me some problems that necessitated me to be introduced to the world of “healthcare” . After six months of abandoning lifting, 22 visits to PT (I know it seems like a lot) an idiot Ortho/back guy, I decided to seek some alternatives.

    My diagnosis appears to be severe degenerative disc disease/ arthritis along with arthritis of the facet joints coupled with a synovial cyst. The junior commando (ortho guy) recommended surgery based upon symptoms and the MRI findings which I am sure as you know is a gold mine of information that can be totally unrelated to the symptoms. Through your website I researched all the articles on issues associated with back problems and decided to take an informed approach. I had been aware of Dr John Petrizzo through your forum (his articles) and with his work with Mac Ward in regards to the back problems he was troubled with while on active duty.

    I contacted John, after suffering with symptoms due to the pathology described above for approximately six months. I felt weak and debilitated from not training, and not getting any sensible answers from the medical community. I gave John my medical background, and he said that I needed to get back under the bar. We started with air squats, and bench press with weights (plates) under my feet so as to relieve stress on the back. I did this for quite a few months reporting to John on a weekly basis.

    After approximately 7 months John has guided me back to a squat of 300# 3X5 and a 1 rep BP of 250#. I know not big numbers, but to someone that quit cold at a 400# squat, 450# deadlift, and 285 # bench and 170# press at age 65 this is very heartening, and motivating. John also helped me with diet going down from 254 to 242 height 5” 10” as of this date. He also got me back to sled dragging which I like to do for conditioning. As this juncture I have not done any deadlifts or rack pulls as they seem to exacerbate the symptoms. I have been able to do ring rows. Bottom line John’s thoughtfulness and dedication to help me, and continue to help me goes well beyond what I can describe with respects to how people now a days treat one another. In Texan terms I am not a bleeding heart, but appreciation needs to shown for those people that actually give a $#^#@ ! John Is a credit to his profession of Physical therapy, and has first class knowledge of the application of barbell training to the pathologies (musculoskeletal) that affect peoples everyday lives. What a testament to the character of this individual and his willingness to extend himself to an unknown person in need of some guidance/advice.


    Thank you Rip for availing yourself through "Starting Strength” , your forums, and extending that brand through "class A "Individuals such as Dr John Petrizzo. I also want to say that the other individuals that I have learned a great deal from are Dr Sullivan, Dr Will Morris, and Andy Baker whom I consider a programming guru ! Sorry for being so long winded but dinosaurs move slowly and thoughtfully.

    Regards from Pittsburgh from a grateful individual !

    John Fisher

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,662

    Default

    Fabulous story, John. More people should approach this situation like you have.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Awesome story John. The value of a clinician who understands how to handle a barbell cannot be overstated. I hope that more people come to understand this like you have.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thip View Post
    After approximately 7 months John has guided me back to a squat of 300# 3X5 and a 1 rep BP of 250#. I know not big numbers, but to someone that quit cold at a 400# squat, 450# deadlift, and 285 # bench and 170# press at age 65 this is very heartening, and motivating. John also helped me with diet going down from 254 to 242 height 5” 10” as of this date. He also got me back to sled dragging which I like to do for conditioning. As this juncture I have not done any deadlifts or rack pulls as they seem to exacerbate the symptoms.
    To the contrary, those are BIG numbers in your age and weight class. In fact, you could place nationally in a raw meet with those numbers. Too bad about the deadlift with your back for now. But you could consider competing and winning in squat only or bench only for now and maybe all three later with luck.

    Good luck on your ongoing regroup and recovery.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Awesome story John. The value of a clinician who understands how to handle a barbell cannot be overstated. I hope that more people come to understand this like you have.
    Thanks Robert, I appreciate the kind words. Essentially the PT that I had seen for my back problem was the same one that I had seen 15 yrs ago after a total left hip replacement. He had been a trainer for the Pgh Penguins NHL team and was used to working with athletes, so I felt that I was in good hands. He actually helped me to eliminate a limp that I had developed for 6 years prior to the surgery. Fast forward 15 years and the same rules do not apply. He was not a big believer in weights and said that I was strong enough, and needed to pursue alternative modes of training/conditioning. Well after 22 visits some three times a week. I had had enough. When you literally feel the strength leaving your body, and no actual plan for strengthening the back other than some stupid exercises that actually put the spine in flexion that exacerbates the condition, you actually look for alternatives that include sound reasoning. Hence Starting Strength and DR John Petrizzo. While I believe the previous PT had my best interests at heart, standard PT protocols and lack of forward thinking by him in the science of PT caused me to see healthcare in a different light.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    To the contrary, those are BIG numbers in your age and weight class. In fact, you could place nationally in a raw meet with those numbers. Too bad about the deadlift with your back for now. But you could consider competing and winning in squat only or bench only for now and maybe all three later with luck.

    Good luck on your ongoing regroup and recovery.

    Mark,

    Thank you for your insight in regards to my numbers. However like many things in life sometimes you hang up your cleats. I have difficulty now trying to avoid injury, and this is my first setback other than hip replacement surgery 15 years ago. I do not need any 18-35 yr old moments in my head when I am working with a 65 year old body. Tempering my training is a full time job when recovery is always and will continue to be an issue. Its funny I was going great guns with training and conditioning, and never realized or thought that the wheels may come off the bus. I follow your thread and I would like you to know that you motivate "geezers like myself to continue training. When I go into my garage I have wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, and knee wraps that bring to mind scenes of Mad Max!
    If and when I go it will be holding a barbell, or dragging my sled.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thip View Post
    Mark,

    Thank you for your insight in regards to my numbers. However like many things in life sometimes you hang up your cleats. I have difficulty now trying to avoid injury, and this is my first setback other than hip replacement surgery 15 years ago. I do not need any 18-35 yr old moments in my head when I am working with a 65 year old body. Tempering my training is a full time job when recovery is always and will continue to be an issue. Its funny I was going great guns with training and conditioning, and never realized or thought that the wheels may come off the bus. I follow your thread and I would like you to know that you motivate "geezers like myself to continue training. When I go into my garage I have wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, and knee wraps that bring to mind scenes of Mad Max!
    If and when I go it will be holding a barbell, or dragging my sled.
    As I said, good luck in your training and recovery. You know your body, goals, and current limitations best.

    Some food for thought though, that injun-looking guy I mentioned at the Tulsa meet in my thread in the General logs, Bill was/is 78. I figgered I'd be the oldest guy at the meet like I usually am these days and saw his name on the roster in Flight C, the one I was assigned to. Alas, no sign of him (didn't know who he might be in any case) in the squats. But, there he was in the bench press. His opener was 264.6, and as I said, his 3rd attempt at a significantly higher poundage looked hydraulic.

    After he sat down in the spectator area I sought him out and asked if he was doing a push/pull meet. Nope, he said. He went on to describe his two knee replacements and a titanium hip, just like Dearly Beloved has. "It's just like in the gym where I'm doing less and less. Same with this meet."

    Nuf said. We do what we can. In any event, it's good you are staying the course in lifting as best you can.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    As I said, good luck in your training and recovery. You know your body, goals, and current limitations best.

    Some food for thought though, that injun-looking guy I mentioned at the Tulsa meet in my thread in the General logs, Bill was/is 78. I figgered I'd be the oldest guy at the meet like I usually am these days and saw his name on the roster in Flight C, the one I was assigned to. Alas, no sign of him (didn't know who he might be in any case) in the squats. But, there he was in the bench press. His opener was 264.6, and as I said, his 3rd attempt at a significantly higher poundage looked hydraulic.

    After he sat down in the spectator area I sought him out and asked if he was doing a push/pull meet. Nope, he said. He went on to describe his two knee replacements and a titanium hip, just like Dearly Beloved has. "It's just like in the gym where I'm doing less and less. Same with this meet."

    Nuf said. We do what we can. In any event, it's good you are staying the course in lifting as best you can.
    Mark,

    As we are both on this sojourn, what do you think of chiropractic medicine involving the lower back ? I see from your thread that you often go to the chiropractor fro your back,and from what I observe it seems to help you. I appreciate your thoughts, as I have gone before only for hip and shoulder related concerns, but never the lower back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thip View Post
    Mark,

    As we are both on this sojourn, what do you think of chiropractic medicine involving the lower back ? I see from your thread that you often go to the chiropractor fro your back,and from what I observe it seems to help you. I appreciate your thoughts, as I have gone before only for hip and shoulder related concerns, but never the lower back.
    I am a big advocate for chiropractic. I've been to a bunch over the decades and mostly for my pesky L4 and L5. I've had all manner of protocols used on me, and to one degree or another, they all worked reasonably well. Some a little better than others, but not significantly so. I guess I've been lucky, because I have seen so many here dismiss them out of hand with their own unsatisfactory experiences with money grubbing charlatans. Not my experience though, even here in Southern Illinois, where you might expect some less than competent practitioners.

    Some years ago, back when I did behind the neck presses and pulldowns, and let my balance of pushing lifts get ahead of my pulling I'd get shoulder problems. Really agonizing ones in my A/C joint that made lifting my arm nearly too painful to endure. It made trying to turn even a power steering wheel a real trial. Since ditching those moves and maintaining a good push/pull balance, those problems are VERY far and few between these days, despite my having become ancient of days (with props to William Blake of course) and often creaky of a morning.

    By all means, give them a try.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I am a big advocate for chiropractic. I've been to a bunch over the decades and mostly for my pesky L4 and L5. I've had all manner of protocols used on me, and to one degree or another, they all worked reasonably well. Some a little better than others, but not significantly so. I guess I've been lucky, because I have seen so many here dismiss them out of hand with their own unsatisfactory experiences with money grubbing charlatans. Not my experience though, even here in Southern Illinois, where you might expect some less than competent practitioners.

    Some years ago, back when I did behind the neck presses and pulldowns, and let my balance of pushing lifts get ahead of my pulling I'd get shoulder problems. Really agonizing ones in my A/C joint that made lifting my arm nearly too painful to endure. It made trying to turn even a power steering wheel a real trial. Since ditching those moves and maintaining a good push/pull balance, those problems are VERY far and few between these days, despite my having become ancient of days (with props to William Blake of course) and often creaky of a morning.

    By all means, give them a try.
    Mark,

    Thank you for your insight. I have a chiropractor in mind that I had previously seen for shoulder issues. He is a former strongman competitor and realizes that someone like myself in our demographic wants to be active in strength training especially in the big lifts. He has never been negative in my pursuit of training due to my age and has been very supportive.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    starting strength nutrition camp
    John,

    I apologize that I did not see this thread sooner. Thank you so much for your kind words. I sincerely appreciate them. It has been a pleasure working with you these past few months. I look forward to helping you continue to progress in your strength and health!

    John

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •