starting strength gym

Thread: Weighted baseballs

Default Weighted baseballs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I heard you on the podcast arguing against training with weighted baseballs, then I stumbled across the Driveline program (a program that uses weighted baseballs) website that includes your image in a way that seems to imply that you endorse the program. What gives?

I don't know. They didn't ask me. I can't find the picture. Maybe they don't know what I said. Quite likely. So I sent the editor a link to the Two-Factor essay. We'll see if he responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know. They didn't ask me. I can't find the picture. Maybe they don't know what I said. Quite likely. So I sent the editor a link to the Two-Factor essay. We'll see if he responds.
    He responded, he's writing an article for the website.

Looking forward to seeing that article.

My son is a pitcher who will be playing his first year of college ball in the spring. They’re doing off-season practice now and just told me this weekend that current players have used this driveline program, in conjunction with some form of training routine, to get their velocity up.

We’ve completely stayed away from weighted balls because (1) as Rip has discussed, it would appear necessary to adjust mechanics during practice to accommodate even a slight change in weight and (2) the additional stress placed on the connective tissue of an untrained individual under the forces generated by a pitch would seem to invite injury.

Unfortunately, my son has only done LP in fits and starts, so he’s still untrained. A quick view of the article linked above shows that the author gets the concept of limiting or even avoiding such specialized techniques for the untrained or the novice, for whom general strength gains are more helpful. So, perhaps the weighted ball approach isn’t used as a strength or “resistance training” tool but is somehow more geared toward the practice side of the two-factor approach.

Staying tuned for answers.