starting strength gym

Thread: Thinking outside the box for disabilities

Default Thinking outside the box for disabilities

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 59 yr old female with multiple sclerosis and have been utilizing SS techniques for the last 3 1/2 years. My husband and trainer (evidently you must have an incurable degenerative disease for a spouse to work) has been outstanding for helping me to achieve success for squat, deadlift, press, and bench press. I utilize bent over rows and lat pulls as well. He had always been able to approach a lift from a different perspective to trick my body into performing a lift my brain says I cannot do mostly due to balance. SSC, Phil Meggers in Omaha (60 miles away) has been very helpful as well.

Question - what can I do to help my recent (last 3 months) loss of strength in my upper body? Press is very difficult as much of my strength is lost due to maintaining my balance. Bench press has diminished as well. It took me 6 months to do a body weight squat (mostly due to proprioception issues) and now squat to depth with 115 lb. for 3 sets of 5. I lost strength in the deadlift as well at one time and now I've set a new PR at 155 lbs. for a set of 5 when my husband introduced rows (you would think I would face plant - go figure). I am relatively sure my brain creates new pathways which would explain the ability to achieve success over time. I train seniors and others with disabilities using your tried and true method in our home gym. If you can help me, others will certainly benefit. Any input or criticism concerning regaining my upper body strength is greatly appreciated.

Have you had a flare recently that would account for the loss of strength, or has this just become apparent with training?

I no longer have relapsing remitting MS and now am the proud owner of secondary progressive MS. Loosely translated, this means I have no real exacerbations to speak of it's simply a downhill slide. When I experienced this same decrease in muscle strength in squats my husband had me lift as heavy as I could for three sets of three and deload (80-90%) for volume. A very slow process but I was able to set new PRs. Two days of rows and one deadlift day boosted my deadlift strength. I have implemented this same routine in the bench and am seeing some improvement. This program change is not working for my press.

I believe my struggle with balance is effecting my strength to press and may be partly responsible for strength loss. I press because there is no replacement and even though balance is hard it probably helps me hold on to the balance I have for a longer duration. MS goes everywhere I go but strength allows me to captain the ship even if I don't have control over the weather. So, any suggestions for program or exercise selection to improve or maintain press strength? We are hoping to obtain a taller power rack shortly so I can fence myself in and provide some level of safety to press. This set-up works well for another MSer I train in our gym who is shorter. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

For what it's worth to anyone else out there with with a degenerative disease, strength training is so worth it. I suspect I have more pain because I lift but the discipline and concentration it takes to lift provides a very decent coping mechanism much better than narcotics. My neurologist is very interested in a study for this type of training. After all, 3 1/2 years ago I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

This is very important: in your situation, DO NOT DO SETS ACROSS OR BACKOFF SETS FOR VOLUME. Warm up to your workset numbers, do them, err on the side of lower tonnage/heavier weight, and stop. You do not need a lot of tonnage to get stronger, and if you overtrain this condition you will cause problems. Do not get hot/sweaty/tired, just go up to your work weight, do a set or two, and stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I no longer have relapsing remitting MS and now am the proud owner of secondary progressive MS. Loosely translated, this means I have no real exacerbations to speak of it's simply a downhill slide. When I experienced this same decrease in muscle strength in squats my husband had me lift as heavy as I could for three sets of three and deload (80-90%) for volume. A very slow process but I was able to set new PRs. Two days of rows and one deadlift day boosted my deadlift strength. I have implemented this same routine in the bench and am seeing some improvement. This program change is not working for my press.

I believe my struggle with balance is effecting my strength to press and may be partly responsible for strength loss. I press because there is no replacement and even though balance is hard it probably helps me hold on to the balance I have for a longer duration. MS goes everywhere I go but strength allows me to captain the ship even if I don't have control over the weather. So, any suggestions for program or exercise selection to improve or maintain press strength? We are hoping to obtain a taller power rack shortly so I can fence myself in and provide some level of safety to press. This set-up works well for another MSer I train in our gym who is shorter. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

For what it's worth to anyone else out there with with a degenerative disease, strength training is so worth it. I suspect I have more pain because I lift but the discipline and concentration it takes to lift provides a very decent coping mechanism much better than narcotics. My neurologist is very interested in a study for this type of training. After all, 3 1/2 years ago I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.
    A data point that would be helpful would be to see how much different your strength is in a "seated, back supported shoulder press" is compared to your press. As Rip just said, I am much more in favor of training MS patients with extremely high weight for repeated singles or doubles with long rest periods. Fatigue is the enemy here.

Thanks to all for the replies. I already implement much of the suggestions. We ordered an incline bench last night. One thing I neglected to add is I'm pretty aware of my limitations and they change from day to day. I workout MWF and I train clients on those days as well. I "exercise" by keeping up with a low maintenance garden on my off days. I make it a point to not overheat and recover anywhere from 3-6 minutes between sets. I have more off days in the gym than most people would and try to take those in stride. Although, I have been known to shake a power rack like a gorilla in a cage (childish but it does feel good plus I look ridiculous). I think the real challenge will be to know when I have reached a level of disability that necessitates a whole new approach to weight training and making gains. But, I don't think I'm there yet. I'll chime in when we figure out what works or if nothing will work for press strength.

Interesting points related to this training and my neurological condition. While fatigue is the #1 struggle and complaint with MS, mine improved (as long as you're not hardheaded and push through). I struggle very little with depression. I am one of the original inactive dough girls and, while I'm still overweight, my cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides are decent and now there is no longer a need for meds. My foot drop which was once very prominent and responsible for many falls is not an issue until I'm tired. I have a service dog for normal activity (shopping) and use a scooter for long distance like a zoo. Weight training has not given me more steps in a day just stronger ones. For those coaches out there helping people like me, bless you. People with degenerative diseases are encouraged to take it easy. Not work too hard. People are often afraid to help us meet a challenge because how it would make them feel if we fail or get injured. No matter what your disability is - disease, age, obesity - strength matters. Plus it's always good for a grin when the nice young man goes back into the garden center to get someone to help him load all those 50 lb bags into the poor old cripple lady's SUV and returns to find I've already loaded them and am wishing them a great day. Life is good. Stay strong. Mark Rippetoe, can't thank you enough. Your ripple effect if far reaching.

I wanted to give an update to my dilemma with the apparent loss of upper body strength particularly in the press. I obtained the incline bench and, low and behold, the advice given was excellent. Will Morris was curious what the ratio between my standing press and back supported seated press would be. With my normal press grip and approximately an 85 degree angle on the bench, I could easily exceed my standing press weight. I also backed off a bit on my sets across as recommended. I am greatly encouraged and cannot express thanks enough for both Mark and Will taking the time to help me work this out.

Now I do have an additional question. Would you recommend I continue to warm up with a manageable standing press weight? I know the press has been very helpful in maintaining and building balance skills in the past.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I also backed off a bit on my sets across as recommended.
    I recommend that you do one (1) work set.

Would you recommend I continue to warm up with a manageable standing press weight? I know the press has been very helpful in maintaining and building balance skills in the past.
    That's a very good idea. No more that 3 sets. Then do 3 total sets on the incline.