starting strength gym
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: More Harder to Kill Evidence

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I wasn't implying that karate assisted his jiujitsu education. I was implying that, despite starting in a bullshit martial art (you'd have to hear how he describes his lessons), he ended up in an effective martial art.

Are you under the impression that Eddie mangled Royler twice because he caught Royler "by surprise"?
    Hell yeah he caught Royler by surprise and more than once. You think Royler gets caught in triangles like that by dudes without freak hips?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Those beliefs have no bearing on his ability to submit an opponent.

Any martial art that doesn't test its techniques again non-compliant opponents is wholesale bullshit. That doesn't mean you have to do MMA, but there has to be some resistance with penalty for failure. That could apply to certain BJJ and boxing schools, but more frequently is true of Asian martial arts.

In a fight, being tough isn't enough. If someone wants to train underwater basket weaving in 10degF water, that's going to make them tough which might be a good thing. However, it's not going to make them an effective fighter.
    This is correct. Most of the martial arts is absolute baloney except for a few that I listed earlier, i.e., judo, bjj, sambo, wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Whatever you say, guru-grandmaster-mystic Jay!
    Again, you THINK you know but you are completely ignorant and I encourage you to read the book I suggested. It will help you humble yourself and understand that you are not an expert in many areas, including this one. For example, I have bought Coach's dvd on weightlifting and watched it a ton of times. I've read SS - all versions several times. I've read practical programming several times. But, I am humble enough to know that having a discussion with Coach about weightlifting and thinking I am on his level is like having a conversation with an astrophysicist and thinking I can talk astrophysics. Here, this is the same thing. You THINK you know but you have no idea what you are talking about, i.e., you may have seen a few bjj or judo classes or even attended a few. But, you are having a conversation with someone who has been doing judo and bjj for probably longer than you have been alive. Thus, we cannot have an intelligent conversation. Again, it is okay to be ignorant of a subject but once you discover your ignorance it is not okay to stay ignorant if you want to have an intelligent conversation about it - the choice is yours. Again, read The Death of Expertise as you badly need it.

Looks like we're done here. Thanks for your participation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looks like we're done here. Thanks for your participation.
    Can’t disagree Coach, let’s put this one to bed.
    It’s always surprising which questions blow up into huge heated discussions, can’t predict which ones, this one surprised me. But I enjoyed every minute of this thread over the last week. Thank you everyone for being rational, irrational and batshit crazy over a smart comment posted by the OP.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011