starting strength gym
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Harder to Kill Evidence

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How do you fall in vomit, and not be able to identity it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewcar View Post
    Anybody who has learned to fall correctly won’t be so quick to dismiss it.
    This goes back to Hurling's brilliant suggestion that we teach elderly people how to fall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    As everyone knows, you can't really dust for vomit.

I'm interested in learning how to fall. Hurling, do you take clients?

You called cause your head was burried in your phone. Funny nonetheless.

I guess your Universal Surveillance State is good for something. Did they jail the woman? Gaol?
    No idea. Bit upset I didn't get slightly longer footage so we could see her being ill to really set up the scene.

Knowing how to fall safely.
    I make no claims for this. I'm relying on being less fragile than I might otherwise be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    Apologies if this gets too graphic. It wasn't like chunky, vegetable soup type sick. It was a clear-ish liquid. I think probably a drink the lady had had just before?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I wonder, instead of "learning to fall," if there might be more value in practicing a little more active situational awareness?
    Oooh, you did it now. That is almost equal in anathema. There are some Very Important Personages who have mocked this practice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewcar View Post
    Anybody who has learned to fall correctly won’t be so quick to dismiss it.
    Nah, martial arts and what they teach are basically BS. Self declared intelligent people on this forum have said so. Especially if there are Asian words involved.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Everyone falls once in a while. Having an ingrained habit of falling in a way that disperses the force is a good thing.

BJJ has saved me more times from ice than from being in a fight.
    Yep, and I have told that to every-single-beginner (especially the ones who grouse about this "useless artifact of traditional martial arts") I have taught. The ones just interested in flash fall by the wayside quickly when faced with having to do something that scares them.

My spidey sense is detecting some butt hurt disturbing the SS-force in this thread. But they know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This goes back to Hurling's brilliant suggestion that we teach elderly people how to fall correctly.
    Or they could get strong and learn how to fall. It doesn't take that much time. It's not like you can only choose one.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

What happens when you teach an 80-year-old woman how to fall, Andrew? Laying down on the floor is not falling -- what Gadders did is falling. Can you teach her anything about this without actually having her fall? And what happens when she falls that first time? And even the second or the third time while you're teaching her to fall? Good things? Do good things happen that first time she falls before our Far Eastern Martial Arts Sensei has successfully perfected her falling skills? No. Good things do not happen to 80-year-old women when they fall down. Even if they fall down on the soft fuzzy mat in the Dojo where Senseis teach Far Eastern Martial Arts. It takes about 0.2 seconds to fall, if even that long, and had his feet gone forward instead of sideways, he could easily have fractured his posterior skull. Happens all the time -- ask the ER guys in states where there's ice on the ground -- because when you slip and fall you are BY DEFINITION not in control of the movement, you don't know it's about to happen (like you do in The Far Eastern Dojo), and if you happen to fall backwards you cannot react in time to affect the outcome because your arms and legs -- the part of your body mass you can control quickly -- are out in front of you, in the air, on the way down. And the time spent teaching the 80-year-old woman this incredibly valuable skill could have more productively been spent getting her stronger, so she isn't as likely to fall. Of all the silly shit Mark "Every Post is a Vocabulary Lesson" Hurling has said over the years, this has got to be the King Hell silliest thing he's ever said, and I'm afraid somebody is going to believe him. Sorry, but this is ridiculous, and you ought to know better.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Oooh, you did it now. That is almost equal in anathema. There are some Very Important Personages who have mocked this practice as well.
    I'm not going to get in the middle of y'all's regularly scheduled learning to fall debate. Simply pointing out that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and walking through a train platform while staring at one's phone is an inherently risky proposition. QED.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast