starting strength gym
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: More Harder to Kill Evidence

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hurling.

Would you be so kind to post a video of yourself teaching an elderly person how to fall properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Hurling.

Would you be so kind to post a video of yourself teaching an elderly person how to fall properly?
    The oldest student I currently have is 34. Otherwise, I'd be glad to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The damage can be mitigated or prevented. The teeth and nose can be saved by simply turning the head, the way I learned in Judo and Jujitsu, and the way I teach it. If you read the link to my original post where I detailed how to fall, you will see that I didn't teach anything but the backfall. What's more, I specifically said that the rolling front fall is not useful for the general population.
    You are quite right in that you said forward rolls were not suitable for the general population. I realize I was conflating the stupidity of “teaching” a front fall- a highly risky, specialized and mostly unsuccessful way to fall (let alone with the elderly)- with forward rolls. You have my apology for that.

]I disagree that falls=broken bones for the elderly.
    Every year, millions of people over 65 suffer from fractures due to falls. The CDC estimates it’s 1 in 5 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    You are quite right in that you said forward rolls were not suitable for the general population. I realize I was conflating the stupidity of “teaching” a front fall- a highly risky, specialized and mostly unsuccessful way to fall (let alone with the elderly)- with forward rolls. You have my apology for that.
    Your "apology," such as it was is accepted. And you talked about humble brag. How about a semi-to-non apology?

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Every year, millions of people over 65 suffer from fractures due to falls. The CDC estimates it’s 1 in 5 or so.
    Hows about we break that highly summarized stat down just a wee bit:

The most common mechanism of injury in the elderly population is falling.[1] About 30%-50% of falls in the elderly result in minor injuries, including bruises, abrasions, and lacerations, but an estimated 10% of all falls in seniors cause major injuries, including intracranial injuries (ICIs) and fractures. One percent of all falls in this population result in hip fractures, which pose a significant risk for postfall morbidity and mortality.[2,3] In addition, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 2006 and 2010, falls were the leading cause of traumatic brain injury-related deaths in persons aged 65 or older.[4]https://reference.medscape.com/features/slideshow/falls-in-the-elderly
    As I said, even among the general population of us geezers and geezettes, a fall does not (always) = broken bones. Perhaps the number of fractures could be reduced still further with some strength and more muscle mass and denser bones. Then, for the frosting on the cake (since using piece de resistance seems use them furrin words too much) something to prepare them for how to react to a fall.

This is really interesting, two things happened to me, first this about dense bones. I was 61 when I started SSNP By that time I noticed a sharp pain in my bones everything I bumped in to something, its like I was more fragile. Thats completely gone now seven years later. The other thing is a problem with my foot that sometime turned inwards when walking om uneven ground, it made me walk on the outside of my foot wich of course is very painful. Resulted in me falling without control, very painful at first. Then I learned by trail and error to roll around to my back, I think they call it a parachute roll, no pain. Today I seldom fall from my ankle twisting. Now today something happened that surprised me, while working at the boatyard I suddenly lost total control suddenly stumbled (not due to my ankle) and fell with no control straight forward heading with my face directly to a very hard wood floor and hands behind my back. In mid air I realized that my face was going to take a very hard blow, so spontaneously I began to roll my body in mid air and landed on my side and continued to roll to my back and up the other side and was quickly up on my feet again, no harm done, got an aplause for that stunt. Im totaly convinced that the barbell training contributed to the positiv outcome. Its truly harder to hurt and kill me today!

Your "apology," such as it was is accepted. And you talked about humble brag. How about a semi-to-non apology?

Hows about we break that highly summarized stat down just a wee bit:

As I said, even among the general population of us geezers and geezettes, a fall does not (always) = broken bones. Perhaps the number of fractures could be reduced still further with some strength and more muscle mass and denser bones. Then, for the frosting on the cake (since using piece de resistance seems use them furrin words too much) something to prepare them for how to react to a fall.
    I doubt Mark wants to keep this thing going much longer, so I am not going to waste time with a rebuttal. Except to say you are just cannon fodder at this point.

Keep doing what you do, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    NOW you've done it...
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Tell me exactly what martial arts fall technique protected you on that fall down the stairs, how it was different from what a person would normally do and how you think it may have improved your outcome.
    It is called learning how to fall so that I didn't break my arm, dislocate my shoulder, or cause a concussion and while I don't know Mark Hurling, it is clear he has either done Judo or BJJ or Sambo or some variation of these actual martial arts (not the Bruce Lee non-sense) and learned how to fall and has explained it several times on this and other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    and while I don't know Mark Hurling, it is clear he has either done Judo or BJJ or Sambo or some variation of these actual martial arts (not the Bruce Lee non-sense)
    Really?

There are three types of falls:
    * Side falls, left or right.
    * Back falls.
    * Front falls.

Each type of fall has a slightly different response taught. I outlined a multi-step process for teaching each of them in the last thread on this subject.

There are a few other types of falls taught in martial arts, but they aren't that useful to the general population. The rolling forward fall is an example of such.
    You can fall straight down onto your feet or upside down onto your head.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    Ha!

It is called learning how to fall so that I didn't break my arm, dislocate my shoulder, or cause a concussion and while I don't know Mark Hurling, it is clear he has either done Judo or BJJ or Sambo or some variation of these actual martial arts (not the Bruce Lee non-sense) and learned how to fall and has explained it several times on this and other threads.
    That was a terrific generalized refusal to answer.

The bottom line is that you do not know and consequently cannot explain it with any specificity.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast