starting strength gym
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: More Harder to Kill Evidence

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    I don't know Mark Hurling, it is clear he has either done Judo or BJJ or Sambo or some variation of these actual martial arts (not the Bruce Lee non-sense)
    What makes you say that? The only indication of his actual history is Hurling mentioning he started Shorei Goju Karate in '65. That leans him in the "far east" bullshit category, but Eddie Bravo also started in karate, so there's not really enough information to say. Based on this thread, of course.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    What makes you say that? The only indication of his actual history is Hurling mentioning he started Shorei Goju Karate in '65. That leans him in the "far east" bullshit category, but Eddie Bravo also started in karate, so there's not really enough information to say. Based on this thread, of course.
    https://startingstrength.com/resourc...archid=4910946

This is the funniest thread I have read in a while. So glad that for the first time in over a decade Hurling has finally been able to contribute his expertise in an area that he has more than any of us, and I always said this guy reminded me of him:

Sorry Mark, can’t help it...I wanted to stay away but they pulled me back in.

Note: My response is not really related to your post, Andrew, but it triggered some thoughts...

There are some “Far East” bullshit martial artists for sure. But there are some very legit, tough martial artists who practice “Far East” martial arts. Should everything be judged on success in MMA? Of course not. I’ve known plenty of old school karate guys that are tough as nails- far tougher than the average person. And that is all that matters, unless you’re a competitive athlete in mma.

And I’ve never known or talked to a pro mma fighter or even anyone accomplished in kickboxing, Muay Thai or bjj bash any traditional martial art on its own merit, even when I asked. They don’t because they know it’s apples and oranges. Bashing individuals or made up styles is a whole ‘nuther story...

But let’s not confuse the Made in America(tm) “Shorei Goju” with anything recognized in Okinawa or Japan. It is not a “Far East” martial art. In fact the words “Shorei” (even that word is iffy) and “Goju”, both words used to describe Okinawan schools of karate, would be oxymorons. It’s always been an eye-roller for legit karate people. Hence my earlier statement about how it would be met with a “WTF?” on Okinawa.

I don’t have a motive here, except to expose that American made up terms are not recognized as legit where it counts. And that there are very tough dudes outside of mma.

I wanted to share my perspective, FWIW, because this forum is a great place for “food for thought.”

As someone who moderated out my response to johnst_ntb in a previous post knows, I detailed out my practice of martial arts from age 15 already. But, it never saw the light of day. So lets see if this does.

High School 1966-68: Shorei Goju, made it to blue belt.

College 1968-1972: 4 years of competing in Judo in the NCAA and USJF. Made it to Ikkyu when I graduated. Dabbled in Shotokan and Isshinryu to keep some measure of striking skills.

Time on the job as a cop 1973-1980: More practice of Judo with old college team and a dead end stint with Tae Kwon Do. Along with several dozen real-ass fights in bars and alleys with drunks, bikers, low lifes, and domestic abusers.

Late Middle age 2002 to date: Took up Mushin Ryu Jujitsu. Currently Nidan and teaching in retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Not sure what I was supposed to see.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Eddie bravo also believes in a lot of bullshit. He’s one of those goofy flat earth guys, chem trails, etc.

"Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Not sure what I was supposed to see.
    His post history. Link keeps changing, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    As someone who moderated out my response to johnst_ntb in a previous post knows, I detailed out my practice of martial arts from age 15 already. But, it never saw the light of day. So lets see if this does.
    I just checked to make sure, and I have deleted no posts from anybody in this thread. Especially you, since you are making a magnificent fool of yourself with no help from anyone else.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    That was a terrific generalized refusal to answer.

The bottom line is that you do not know and consequently cannot explain it with any specificity.
    The bottom line is you are looking for some silly argument and you are way out of your lane unless you have Judo/BJJ or some other experience. If you have none, your opinion on this topic means nothing. This is what we see a lot of in society, i.e., the death of expertise - you should read it because you need it.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast