More Harder to Kill Evidence More Harder to Kill Evidence - Page 10

starting strength gym
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105

Thread: More Harder to Kill Evidence

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    120

    Default

    • texas seminar date
    • wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    The bottom line is you are looking for some silly argument and you are way out of your lane unless you have Judo/BJJ or some other experience. If you have none, your opinion on this topic means nothing. This is what we see a lot of in society, i.e., the death of expertise - you should read it because you need it.
    Not everyone is willing to blindly believe your bullshit.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I just checked to make sure, and I have deleted no posts from anybody in this thread. Especially you, since you are making a magnificent fool of yourself with no help from anyone else.
    If you say so, but I know I typed out and submitted a response to this post: More Harder to Kill Evidence

    In it, I described in a less succinct manner the MA stuff I did, how old I was when I did it, where I was when I did it, and why I did it. As I said, never saw the light of day.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    As someone who moderated out my response to johnst_ntb in a previous post knows, I detailed out my practice of martial arts from age 15 already. But, it never saw the light of day. So lets see if this does.

    High School 1966-68: Shorei Goju, made it to blue belt.

    College 1968-1972: 4 years of competing in Judo in the NCAA and USJF. Made it to Ikkyu when I graduated. Dabbled in Shotokan and Isshinryu to keep some measure of striking skills.

    Time on the job as a cop 1973-1980: More practice of Judo with old college team and a dead end stint with Tae Kwon Do. Along with several dozen real-ass fights in bars and alleys with drunks, bikers, low lifes, and domestic abusers.

    Late Middle age 2002 to date: Took up Mushin Ryu Jujitsu. Currently Nidan and teaching in retirement.
    The fact that you detailed out your practice (dont forget to mention again you started at 15!) is a giant cherry on top of this creamy shit scoop of blather.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    The fact that you detailed out your practice (don’t forget to mention again you started at 15!) is a giant cherry on top of this creamy shit scoop of blather.
    Sounds like you are channeling some of The Departed. You asked the question about the martial arts I practiced in a slightly different format than Andrew Lewis did. Your current dismissal of the answer was a foregone conclusion of someone with a closed mind. Which is exactly the kind of "thinking" I learned early on to ignore and go my own way.

    Carry on.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Not everyone is willing to blindly believe your bullshit.
    Again, you are totally ignorant of what you are talking about. I'm trying to help you. Go read The Death of Expertise. You need it. It will help you. If you don't read it, get some help to learn to humble yourself and admit when you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no shame in being ignorant of a subject. I am ignorant on many subjects but I am smart enough to humble myself and learn. Good luck on your journey to humbling yourself.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Eddie bravo also believes in a lot of bullshit. He’s one of those goofy flat earth guys, chem trails, etc.
    Those beliefs have no bearing on his ability to submit an opponent.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Sorry Mark, can’t help it...I wanted to stay away but they pulled me back in.

    Note: My response is not really related to your post, Andrew, but it triggered some thoughts...

    There are some “Far East” bullshit martial artists for sure. But there are some very legit, tough martial artists who practice “Far East” martial arts. Should everything be judged on success in MMA? Of course not. I’ve known plenty of old school karate guys that are tough as nails- far tougher than the average person. And that is all that matters, unless you’re a competitive athlete in mma.

    And I’ve never known or talked to a pro mma fighter or even anyone accomplished in kickboxing, Muay Thai or bjj bash any traditional martial art on its own merit, even when I asked. They don’t because they know it’s apples and oranges. Bashing individuals or made up styles is a whole ‘nuther story...

    But let’s not confuse the Made in America(tm) “Shorei Goju” with anything recognized in Okinawa or Japan. It is not a “Far East” martial art. In fact the words “Shorei” (even that word is iffy) and “Goju”, both words used to describe Okinawan schools of karate, would be oxymorons. It’s always been an eye-roller for legit karate people. Hence my earlier statement about how it would be met with a “WTF?” on Okinawa.

    I don’t have a motive here, except to expose that American made up terms are not recognized as legit where it counts. And that there are very tough dudes outside of mma.
    Any martial art that doesn't test its techniques again non-compliant opponents is wholesale bullshit. That doesn't mean you have to do MMA, but there has to be some resistance with penalty for failure. That could apply to certain BJJ and boxing schools, but more frequently is true of Asian martial arts.

    In a fight, being tough isn't enough. If someone wants to train underwater basket weaving in 10degF water, that's going to make them tough which might be a good thing. However, it's not going to make them an effective fighter.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Those beliefs have no bearing on his ability to submit an opponent
    Im inclined to believe that Eddie Bravos ability to submit opponents comes from his long tutelage under jean jacques machado (a legit badass) and eddies freakish leg dexterity rather than anything he learned from karate.

    How many Bjj practitioners do you know that can throw both legs over their head into a double lotus position without even grabbing a leg? He catches guys by surprise with his rubbery-ass limbs.

    That being said, I dont think his brand is all that useful or practical if youre intention is to learn self defense, but I like to keep an open mind about these things because all jiu jitsu is good to some degree!

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    Again, you are totally ignorant of what you are talking about. I'm trying to help you. Go read The Death of Expertise. You need it. It will help you. If you don't read it, get some help to learn to humble yourself and admit when you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no shame in being ignorant of a subject. I am ignorant on many subjects but I am smart enough to humble myself and learn. Good luck on your journey to humbling yourself.

    Whatever you say, guru-grandmaster-mystic Jay!

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I’m inclined to believe that Eddie Bravo’s ability to submit opponents comes from his long tutelage under jean jacques machado (a legit badass) and eddie’s freakish leg dexterity rather than anything he learned from karate.

    How many Bjj practitioners do you know that can throw both legs over their head into a double lotus position without even grabbing a leg? He catches guys by surprise with his rubbery-ass limbs.

    That being said, I don’t think his brand is all that useful or practical if you’re intention is to learn self defense, but I like to keep an open mind about these things because all jiu jitsu is good to some degree!
    I wasn't implying that karate assisted his jiujitsu education. I was implying that, despite starting in a bullshit martial art (you'd have to hear how he describes his lessons), he ended up in an effective martial art.

    Are you under the impression that Eddie mangled Royler twice because he caught Royler "by surprise"?

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    starting strength nutrition camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Sounds like you are channeling some of The Departed. You asked the question about the martial arts I practiced in a slightly different format than Andrew Lewis did. Your current dismissal of the answer was a foregone conclusion of someone with a closed mind. Which is exactly the kind of "thinking" I learned early on to ignore and go my own way.

    Carry on.
    Nice try, I didn’t ask. Didn’t have to. This board is littered with your “credentials.”

    Oh and tell me more about the NCAA judo you did as well as the REAL LIFE BACK ALLY FIGHTS WITH DRUNKS, BIKERS AND DOMESTIC ABUSERS TM!

    No really, don’t.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Those beliefs have no bearing on his ability to submit an opponent.



    Any martial art that doesn't test its techniques again non-compliant opponents is wholesale bullshit. That doesn't mean you have to do MMA, but there has to be some resistance with penalty for failure. That could apply to certain BJJ and boxing schools, but more frequently is true of Asian martial arts.

    In a fight, being tough isn't enough. If someone wants to train underwater basket weaving in 10degF water, that's going to make them tough which might be a good thing. However, it's not going to make them an effective fighter.
    I completely agree and my post still stands in light of your response. There are plenty who test themselves.

    And I say that with respect and agreement with your point.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •