starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Harder to Kill Evidence

Default More Harder to Kill Evidence

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On a recent commute home, I was walking on the Tube Station platform and slipped and fell over in an unidentified fluid. Thanks to multiple years of barbell training, I immediately bounced back up and continued my journey home. I'm not super-old (48) but I guess it's possible an untrained person my age might have twisted a knee or something.

For a laugh, I requested the CCTV footage of me falling over as I thought it might be funny to watch. However, when London Underground contacted me, they also said:

I have confirmed that the cause of the spillage was as a result of a female who had exited a train prior to yours, becoming ill and vomiting on the floor, where you fell.

This was reported via a Passenger Help Point. In fact the customer and her male colleague remained in position directing people away from the vomit initially. They left the area shortly before the arrival of your train.
    As there is nothing funnier than another person's misfortune, see below for me falling in sick:

I guess your Universal Surveillance State is good for something. Did they jail the woman? Gaol?

That was a hard and sudden fall. I agree with you, it is reasonable to assume that a weaker version of you with less dense bones would have possibly suffered a fractured right wrist.

Knowing how to fall safely.

Always a good thing to learn.

Yes, because in the 0.2 seconds it took him to fall, remembering how to fall correctly could have saved his life.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I requested the CCTV footage of me falling over as I thought it might be funny to watch.
    Gadders, you were correct! Well played. I hereby nominate you as a 'post of the year' contender! Ha ha (Sorry if that's not an actual thing Rip!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, because in the 0.2 seconds it took him to fall, remembering how to fall correctly could have saved his life.
    That's why wax on/wax off. Until it becomes reflexive and does not require thought. Kind of like cueing a lifter repeatedly and consistently until they develop the proprioception to squat properly and to depth.

I wonder, instead of "learning to fall," if there might be more value in practicing a little more active situational awareness? Like I tell my kids, "keep your eyes pointed in the same direction as your feet. "

Gadders, man, I'm glad you're okay. I think the only time I've slipped in puke it was my own, and I was fighting a losing battle with gravity as it was.

Anybody who has learned to fall correctly won’t be so quick to dismiss it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I wonder, instead of "learning to fall," if there might be more value in practicing a little more active situational awareness? Like I tell my kids, "keep your eyes pointed in the same direction as your feet. "

Gadders, man, I'm glad you're okay. I think the only time I've slipped in puke it was my own, and I was fighting a losing battle with gravity as it was.
    Everyone falls once in a while. Having an ingrained habit of falling in a way that disperses the force is a good thing.

BJJ has saved me more times from ice than from being in a fight.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast