starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: instances for using pullup vs chin up

Default instances for using pullup vs chin up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I understand Rip is on the side of chinup over pullup because it incorporates more muscles and muscle mass into the movement. But I think the benefits of pullups outweigh its lack of biceps, at least enough to merit alternating the grips from time to time. Most importantly is grip width, Im speaking specifically about wide-grip pulllups. Because the grip is wider than the shoulders, the shoulders will not be nearly as internally rotated as a chinup. I dont know if this is a concern of Rip's but for people with shoulder pain or rounded shoulders (a lot of people) it might be. Additionally, pullups serve as a better assistance exercise to the deadlift because the grip width and type is most similar to that of a conventional deadlift (wide of shoulders, prone). A chinup width would translate better for a sumo deadlift (within shoulders).

Is there a question here?

sorry rip im used to just making a statement and waiting for someone to prove me fundamentally wrong (on the internet). For the purpose of deadlifts, should you do pullups over chinups? Or are the differences so minute that it just doesnt matter?

I do pull-ups rather than chin-ups purely because I've had a history of stubborn golfer's elbow which chin-ups have aggravated in the past. I haven't performed any chin-ups for a long time though, so maybe I should give them a try again.

Your point about their value as a deadlift assistance exercise seems mistaken to me. If they're valuable in that capacity it's because doing them makes certain muscles stronger in a way which helps you deadlift more weight, not because the grip is similar. Also, I wasn't under the impression that there is any difference in grip width between a sumo and conventional deadlift. In both cases isn't the optimal width precisely shoulder width, allowing the arms to hang vertically from the shoulder joint? Who is pulling from the floor with a grip wider or narrower than his shoulders, aside from when doing cleans, snatches, or variations thereof?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is there a question here?
    Clearly you need to add this extremely useful advice into the next edition of Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephBovineCumia View Post
    sorry rip im used to just making a statement and waiting for someone to prove me fundamentally wrong (on the internet). For the purpose of deadlifts, should you do pullups over chinups? Or are the differences so minute that it just doesnt matter?
    Why would a supine vs prone grip in a bodyweight assistance exercise make any difference to your 500-pound deadlift? You think pullups are better because they look more like deadlifts?

Are you a high-school football coach who has been placed in charge of the weight room?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I do pull-ups rather than chin-ups purely because I've had a history of stubborn golfer's elbow which chin-ups have aggravated in the past. I haven't performed any chin-ups for a long time though, so maybe I should give them a try again.

Your point about their value as a deadlift assistance exercise seems mistaken to me. If they're valuable in that capacity it's because doing them makes certain muscles stronger in a way which helps you deadlift more weight, not because the grip is similar. Also, I wasn't under the impression that there is any difference in grip width between a sumo and conventional deadlift. In both cases isn't the optimal width precisely shoulder width, allowing the arms to hang vertically from the shoulder joint? Who is pulling from the floor with a grip wider or narrower than his shoulders, aside from when doing cleans, snatches, or variations thereof?
    Yeah Im starting to realise my dl grip is far too wide... Thanks for response.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would a supine vs prone grip in a bodyweight assistance exercise make any difference to your 500-pound deadlift? You think pullups are better because they look more like deadlifts?

Are you a high-school football coach who has been placed in charge of the weight room?

lmao, you can rest easy knowing im not coaching anyone. But that was pretty much my thought process, although weighted pullups as opposed to just bodyweight. And in my experience it helped my deadlift, but as I wrote above it's probably because I'm using too wide a grip on the pull. Thanks for the response rip

You are not the problem. The problem is the hundreds of thousands of high school coaches who think that their weight room exercises must look like football to be effective for football, a complete failure to understand any aspect of their task.

In my experience, pull ups should replace chin ups for those with AC joint injuries.

starting strength coach development program
    At what point is the shoulder “internally rotated” in a chin-up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast