starting strength gym

Thread: Clean progression

Default Clean progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip -

I worked power cleans into my program opposite deads to give my system the added rest while still getting work in and my deads continue to climb. I also row, but that's a different topic. I'm hoping you can speak on a podcast specifically about the power clean. What I'd like to hear is an in depth narrative from you about setup, form, mental cues, etc. I've read the book twice, I've watched every video I can find multiple times, and my clean is progressing but it's still tough to nail down the form. One of the things you're going to suggest is seeing a coach, and I'm considering that but the money isn't there yet and I'd prefer to spend coaching sessions on squats. I've heard you speak about other lifts and you've said that 200 isn't going to feel easy until you can lift 350 and I've found carry over from "ease" of the lift to good form. In other words, a 350 squatter has pretty good form when there's only 200 on his back. Regarding the clean, should I just be trying to progress in weight and rack the weight in any way possible while sacrificing form or should I keep the weight lower and just hammer form work? The theory behind the former would be that I can clean more weight and as I clean more, my form gets better on the lower weights and hopefully the window between a top heavy set and a good form set would close.

I truly appreciate your team's work, thanks to everyone for sharing all the knowledge.

Dave Lucas

Post a video.

Thanks Rip, next session I'll take a video to post. In the meantime, I'm a little more interested in the theoretical answer to the question than a form check. I don't want to use the forum as an avenue for free coaching but I'm trying to continue my learning process. I guess the question could apply to all the major lifts but is more critical to the clean because it is a more technical movement. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GratefulDave View Post
    ... should I just be trying to progress in weight and rack the weight in any way possible while sacrificing form or should I keep the weight lower and just hammer form work? .
    Its not a strict or between training weight lifted and practicing technique. In your warm ups you work on technique and this carries over into your working sets. Your max clean is limited by both strength (power more accurately) and technique. Keep progressing weight while working on technique - noting that higher weights actually changes your technique slightly due to change of COM of body and barbell system.

YouTube

Sorry for the delay (I know everyone was waiting with baited breath for the video). Here it is. My main question remains about how to progressively train the clean if I can't rack the next scheduled weight.

On the form check side of things, how is "faster elbows" coached?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

You've got several form problems to correct before worrying about the next scheduled weight. Take a better video angle and look at your elbows and feet.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I'll keep working