starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rack pull

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    I think it’s just better to prioritize dead’s. To get better at deadlifting...deadlift. I have not had the experience of rack pulls helping in the stead of dead’s. Maybe in with dead’s. To me rack pulls are an assistant exercise only unless depth can’t be reached on a dead. Even then you would want to progress toward a dead gradually. Just my thoughts on it.
    My understanding is that it depends on the level of the trainee. Intermediate and advanced trainees will benefit from integrating rack pulls and halting DLs in rotation with conventionals. A novice will progress better with just conventionals.

But if rack pulls are an assistance exercise for the deadlift, why would you go for six weeks doing only rack pulls without doing a single deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    It’s too short a motion. Because it’s a short motion the weight gets inflated.
    Most of the time, rack pulls are selected because of their shorter range of motion. The deadlift becomes too difficult to recover from, so it's split into two movements: the rack pull and halting deadlift.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    But if rack pulls are an assistance exercise for the deadlift, why would you go for six weeks doing only rack pulls without doing a single deadlift?
    You wouldn't. See Andrew's post above.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I tried them. Got up to 405 (yes, weak) but I definitely felt the entire body challenged. Even after a few days I could still feel tightness in my "core" lol. But seriously, my low back and obliques were lit up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12