starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack pull

Default Rack pull

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, a question to your o-lift podcast. You said someone who deadlifts 700 is stronger than some who clean and jerks 200. What about someone who rack pulls 1000? Are they stronger than the deadlifter and the o-lifter?

Maybe. But remember that the ROM of a rack pull is shorter.

And deadlift rom is shorter than clean and jerk rom.

Yes, it is.

If you can only deadlift 250 lbs. 200 lb clean will be real, real hard. A 250 lb clean just won’t happen. Ever! So if you can dead lift 700 lbs, a 200 lb clean will be easy and so will a 250 lb clean. A rack pull is an assistant exercise for dead’s. If your loading up 1000lbs on it, your doing it wrong. It’s also only meant to help you hold your back in extension. Maybe help get the ass through to the finish. I have limited experience with cleans but can still clean and jerk 225 lbs with the worst form this side of ever.

Maybe Rip can weigh in on this but I don't think a 1000 lb rack pull would be useless. Even if it's pulled with less ROM, the amount of force provided is immense and capable of a physiological adaptation. Or am I wrong?

Try them and report back.

Rack pulls won’t increase Jack. I’ve been there done that with dead’s. I did rack pulls for six weeks instead of dead’s. Dead’s went backwards. It will only help hold position, there by indirectly helping dead’s go up because of better technique or addressed weaknesses. Yeah sure if you only add 20 lbs to your dead won’t help but if you add 100 of 200. That max clean just got easier off the floor. But with all that said, the clean must be train in order for it to go up. Do dead’s help. Yes! Rack pulls. No! It’s too short a motion. Because it’s a short motion the weight gets inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    Rack pulls won’t increase Jack.
    That has not been my experience.

starting strength coach development program
    I think it’s just better to prioritize dead’s. To get better at deadlifting...deadlift. I have not had the experience of rack pulls helping in the stead of dead’s. Maybe in with dead’s. To me rack pulls are an assistant exercise only unless depth can’t be reached on a dead. Even then you would want to progress toward a dead gradually. Just my thoughts on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast