starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiropractors

Default Chiropractors

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coach,

I’m in the middle of “Strong Enough” and you mention that chiropractors have a useful, legitimate place in the health care professions.

When do you find a chiropractor useful and how does one discern the difference between a good chiro and a quack?

I have trouble trusting these slippery sons-of-bitches. Especially when they start talking about removing “toxins.”

Chiropractors are useful for localized back pain with no radicular component. The quacks "remove toxins" while the good ones make your back feel better. It's sometimes a crapshoot, so references are useful.

Roger that - any idea what mechanisms are at play when they correct localized pain? Are we talking about a deep stretch on the soft tissue or actual realignment of facet joints, etc? I’m always skeptical when they talk about things being out of alignment.

I think that inflamed tissue is swollen and edematous, and that the manipulation disrupts the swelling and allows normal circulatory processes to resume. But really, I don't know.

Alright, thanks coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Roger that - any idea what mechanisms are at play when they correct localized pain? Are we talking about a deep stretch on the soft tissue or actual realignment of facet joints, etc? I’m always skeptical when they talk about things being out of alignment.
    I think the major mechanisms at work is a reduction in mechanoreceptor input after the cavitation is produced, and through an analgesic response via downregulation of excitatory interneurons through descending input from the brain.

Maybe both, if the tissue prep before the manipulation was extensive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I think the major mechanisms at work is a reduction in mechanoreceptor input after the cavitation is produced, and through an analgesic response via downregulation of excitatory interneurons through descending input from the brain.
    WTF did I just read?

Soule,
    Where are you located?

I would start with a couple of guidelines in the search for a good chiropractor;
    1. If they don't like dead lifting with proper form, then walk out immediately.
    2. Find someone who deals with athletes.
    3. Look for one with a sports diplomat.
    4. Make sure they work on extremities, not just the spine.

For full disclosure I'm married to a chiropractor who sub specialized in body builders in the NYC area. (Note, she said SS has done more for my spinal health than anything else!) I recommend one that does extremities because in my experience going from a desk jockey to a much stronger desk jockey, I messed up my hands, wrists, and knees a few times and a good chiropractor can them them back quickly.

Let me know where you live and maybe I can help find you one.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    WTF did I just read?
    Translation: things hurt less.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast