starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chiropractors

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I think the major mechanisms at work is a reduction in mechanoreceptor input after the cavitation is produced, and through an analgesic response via downregulation of excitatory interneurons through descending input from the brain.
    Will, I resent the way you always oversimplify things and keep talking down to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Soule,
    Where are you located?

I would start with a couple of guidelines in the search for a good chiropractor;
    1. If they don't like dead lifting with proper form, then walk out immediately.
    2. Find someone who deals with athletes.
    3. Look for one with a sports diplomat.
    4. Make sure they work on extremities, not just the spine.

For full disclosure I'm married to a chiropractor who sub specialized in body builders in the NYC area. (Note, she said SS has done more for my spinal health than anything else!) I recommend one that does extremities because in my experience going from a desk jockey to a much stronger desk jockey, I messed up my hands, wrists, and knees a few times and a good chiropractor can them them back quickly.

Let me know where you live and maybe I can help find you one.
    Austin. Thanks!

I think the major mechanisms at work is a reduction in mechanoreceptor input after the cavitation is produced, and through an analgesic response via downregulation of excitatory interneurons through descending input from the brain.
    Can i achieve this same effect by smashing a back tweak with a massage gun? I bought one earlier this year and it seems to provide some relief on a back tweak that has been nagging me for 7 months or so.

The one chiro i visited had a similar tool that he used on a different injury. Then he put the suction cups on to “remove toxins” and i never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    WTF did I just read?
    When a chiropractor adjusts a joint, the characteristic “pop” is called a cavitation and is widely thought to be gas escaping from the joint. There are small receptors within joint capsules that measure stretch in the joint and these are a large reason why swollen joints hurt. If this gas escapes, the pressure inside the joint lessens, which may reduce the amount of sensory input these receptors send to the brain for processing.

We have some functional MRI studies that show changes in the uptake of oxygen in the brain after joint manipulations. The pain center shows a decreased uptake of oxygen (meaning less activity) after this. We think this happens because the manipulation itself gives a stimulus to the brain to reduce the amount of sensory orders coming from the brain to increase pain. The brain can downregulate things called interneurons which modify the raw sensory signals to either make it a louder or a softer signal. We think the brain makes these interneurons that make the signal louder less active.

Dr. JFord, my apologies, sir. I did not mean to sound condescending. That truly was not my intent.

I thought the "pop" was from CO_2 being forced back into solution in the synovial fluid after diffusing out over time. Is that wrong?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I thought the "pop" was from CO_2 being forced back into solution in the synovial fluid after diffusing out over time. Is that wrong?
    That’s one of the theories, except they think it is primarily nitrogen. In my studies, the escaping gas theory is seemingly more prevalent. Either way, just some type of theoretical construct to illustrate a workable potential mechanism is probably sufficient.

Soule,
    I asked my wife and she doesn't know anyone in Austin, she's in Queens NY so that would be a nasty commute, hahaha.

I googled "sport chiropractor austin tx" and got some promising results.

Sports Medicine | Austin, TX | Spinal Rehab Sports Medicine(R)
    Chiropractor Austin TX | Daniel P. Bockmann, DC | Austin Chiropractic Center
    https://dynamicsportsmedicine.com/

These three look interesting. Remember, you want to know their opinion on dead lifting to improve spinal health and anything other than "yes when done properly" and you walk.

When a chiropractor adjusts a joint, the characteristic “pop” is called a cavitation and is widely thought to be gas escaping from the joint. There are small receptors within joint capsules that measure stretch in the joint and these are a large reason why swollen joints hurt. If this gas escapes, the pressure inside the joint lessens, which may reduce the amount of sensory input these receptors send to the brain for processing.

We have some functional MRI studies that show changes in the uptake of oxygen in the brain after joint manipulations. The pain center shows a decreased uptake of oxygen (meaning less activity) after this. We think this happens because the manipulation itself gives a stimulus to the brain to reduce the amount of sensory orders coming from the brain to increase pain. The brain can downregulate things called interneurons which modify the raw sensory signals to either make it a louder or a softer signal. We think the brain makes these interneurons that make the signal louder less active.

Dr. JFord, my apologies, sir. I did not mean to sound condescending. That truly was not my intent.
    Um...I think I saw humor where none was meant. I'm the one that needs to apologize. My bad!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Soule,
    I asked my wife and she doesn't know anyone in Austin, she's in Queens NY so that would be a nasty commute, hahaha.

I googled "sport chiropractor austin tx" and got some promising results.

Sports Medicine | Austin, TX | Spinal Rehab Sports Medicine(R)
    Chiropractor Austin TX | Daniel P. Bockmann, DC | Austin Chiropractic Center
    https://dynamicsportsmedicine.com/

These three look interesting. Remember, you want to know their opinion on dead lifting to improve spinal health and anything other than "yes when done properly" and you walk.
    Thank you sir, I appreciate ya!

Will, thanks for taking the time to draw it out for me to better understand.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    When do you find a chiropractor useful and how does one discern the difference between a good chiro and a quack?

I have trouble trusting these slippery sons-of-bitches. Especially when they start talking about removing “toxins.”

A good chiro will see you once, maybe twice, and you'll feel a little bit better and then you go on with your life.

A bad one will have you in twice a week for maintenance cracking for the rest of your life, or until your visits limit on your insurance.

If you have a regular appointment with a back crackin' guy, you're being played.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast