starting strength gym

Thread: Training with Lymphangiomatosis and Gorham's Disease

Default Training with Lymphangiomatosis and Gorham's Disease

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My brother has Lymphangiomatosis and Gorham's Disease, he has been a patient at MD Anderson for about a decade now. At this point the tumor in his leg affected by Lymphangiomatosis has stopped growing. During the many tests they performed on him, they also found that he has Gorham's Disease in the form of a "honeycombed spine". While in high school he competed in Ice Hockey and Cross Country at a pretty high level until he collapsed while running at a competition. Now that he has become stable and off of the crazy amounts of drugs doctors peddled out to him for so long, he wants to get in better shape. He has been very cautious to lift heavy weights because of many other Gorham's disease patients' experiences along with his doctor's advice. This has led to him doing P90X and various other high intensity type workouts.

Since we know that strength training increases bone density do you think it would be good for him to start barbell training? If so would the beginner linear progression in Starting Strength be a good place for him to start?

I am completely unfamiliar with either of these conditions, so I have no recommendations for him. Sorry. Age/height/weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I am completely unfamiliar with either of these conditions, so I have no recommendations for him. Sorry. Age/height/weight?
    I thought it would be a long shot. Thank you. He is 32/5'10/185