Practical programming Practical programming

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Practical programming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    845

    Default Practical programming

    • texas seminar date
    • wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Dear Mark,

    As I'm now finding the DL increasingly difficult to recover from. Does PP provide sufficient information to help me set up a training program which includes HDL and Rack pulls. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy it in hard copy, which is quite expensive in the UK, so I don't want to just take a punt and discover that it won't provide the basis for putting together my own specific training program.

    Best Regards,

    Nock.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,004

    Default

    What does the e-version say? The hard copy will say the same thing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What does the e-version say? The hard copy will say the same thing.
    I don't like to buy the e.version of any text books, the hard copy is far nicer in all respects. I made a big mistake buying SS in that format. Barbell Prescription is great in had copy form. I'm quite happy to buy it if it does what I need.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,004

    Default

    You haven't read PPST3? There are lots of interesting things about post-novice programming included, some of which address the use of rack pulls and haltings. I'm sorry it's very expensive in the UK, but at least your health care is free. Do you need some money?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You haven't read PPST3? There are lots of interesting things about post-novice programming included, some of which address the use of rack pulls and haltings. I'm sorry it's very expensive in the UK, but at least your health care is free. Do you need some money?
    I thought it was a sufficiently simple, binary question. Will it allow me to understand how to set up a training programme, or not ? If it does, then I will buy it. If it doesn't, I will look for something that can.

    What the NHS has to do with it is beyond me, but no, it isn't free, it's rationed, like all socialist enterprises-sometimes people die before reaching the front of the queue. As to money, I don't like spending on things that aren't of use to me; that's generally how it works I believe, unless one is an adherent of the practices of Homer Simpson.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,004

    Default

    Now really, Nockian, would we try to sell you a book with the title Practical Programming for Strength Training if it didn't help you set up training programmmes?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    140

    Default

    How expensive has your free health care made this book?

    I may be decadent and bourgeoisie, but I have been known at times to buy a good book impulsively... without 2 weeks of internal deliberation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Dear Mark,

    As I'm now finding the DL increasingly difficult to recover from. Does PP provide sufficient information to help me set up a training program which includes HDL and Rack pulls. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy it in hard copy, which is quite expensive in the UK, so I don't want to just take a punt and discover that it won't provide the basis for putting together my own specific training program.

    Best Regards,

    Nock.
    Great to know all those opinions on RPE, and yet has never read PPST.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I thought it was a sufficiently simple, binary question. Will it allow me to understand how to set up a training programme, or not ? If it does, then I will buy it. If it doesn't, I will look for something that can.

    What the NHS has to do with it is beyond me, but no, it isn't free, it's rationed, like all socialist enterprises-sometimes people die before reaching the front of the queue. As to money, I don't like spending on things that aren't of use to me; that's generally how it works I believe, unless one is an adherent of the practices of Homer Simpson.
    "Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd Edition addresses the topic of Training. It details the mechanics of the process, from the basic physiology of adaptation to the specific programs that apply these principles to novice, intermediate, and advanced lifters."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    845

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Now really, Nockian, would we try to sell you a book with the title Practical Programming for Strength Training if it didn't help you set up training programmmes?
    I see your point. However, it doesnt hurt to check. Cheque in post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •