starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RPE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    In other words they are always actively imagining they are capable of far more than they actually are.
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Yes, Rip, rejecting RPE is equivalent of an 80 year old rejecting to use the internet or software developer rejecting to use emerging tools to make a better product. S&C is in it's infancy!
    I can't tell if you're serious or joking.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Getting that last rep

I can't either, and I don't care.

Your experiment really only suggests that people who have no experience using a thing aren't very good at using that thing. Am I meant to conclude that this is evidence said thing doesn't work very well?

[QUOTE=Ivan Stepic;1751250]Will this be a new 11 page thread about.../QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Technology! ...And it will not be an 11-page thread, I assure you.
    I am sure we can find some seemingly innocuous topic to explode this thread to 11 pages.

Let's ask?

Let's don't.

Doing my part here. Lets take this thing all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I'm joking. I'm just repeating the silly bs I've read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Your experiment really only suggests that people who have no experience using a thing aren't very good at using that thing. Am I meant to conclude that this is evidence said thing doesn't work very well?
    That wasn't my conclusion. If a very experienced lifter believes wearing red underpants helps to achieve bigger lifts, then why not wear red underpants ? However, if they can ditch that belief, they would find they could likely lift equally well without such a splint. It's just a mental game.

Try the same experiment yourself, see if it's repeatable with very experienced lifters who are using the system. This seems a very obvious thing to try considering all the yap about its efficacy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    But the whole point of RPE is that it's based on how you feel, and if how you feel doesn't accurately predict what you're actually capable of, then what is the use of RPE? Using RPE doesn't change how the reps feel, and if in order to make it work reliably you then need to go 'up one level of abstraction' and say something like 'at 315lbs for 5 reps, I know it's going to feel like RPE 8, but I know from my experience using RPE that it's really RPE 10,' then you might as well just say 'with 315lbs on the bar, I can do 5 reps.'

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast