starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RPE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't get this. Do all of you people have stock in the RPE company or something? What is the bizarre obsession with somehow trying to browbeat Rip into completely up-ending SS's training approach and then having a pissy tantrum about it when you're unsuccessful?

Jesus, we know there are large swaths of people that don't like the guy, primarily for his various opinions and positions on many things, fine. I'm just extremely skeptical that their opinion of Rip would change, along with their behavior towards him, if in some moment of loss of principle and mental weakness, he put out a post saying he was abandoning the whole thing and conceding to the "consensus" in the S&C community and ::gasp: elite powerlifting circles.

What the fuck do you people want?

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Your experiment really only suggests that people who have no experience using a thing aren't very good at using that thing. Am I meant to conclude that this is evidence said thing doesn't work very well?
    No. I perceive that his experiment strongly demonstrates a lack of accuracy in lifters’ assessing future rep success. You only perceive what you claim as fact above. Does that help you see the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Except with more experience using RPE, people get better at using RPE. Accuracy increases.
    Absurd. Accuracy would require testing of the output - actually doing the 10-RPE reps to failure after calling the RPE number, but somehow not biasing the result by making the call. Can’t be done.

I'm a cheery, young man, and I say RPE is nonsense for 99% of all lifters.

You will also find that the market dictates what's popular, not what's "good" or true. For example, planet fitness.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I really understand now. The consensus decides what is true. Got it.
    You conveniently ignored my reasoning for why the market is moving away from SS and towards RPE-based programming. Most of us former lifters who tried using your logic for post-novice programming came to prefer more sophisticated methods. You tend to call those types of programming needlessly complicated, but since you keep misstating how RPE is used, you either misunderstand it or straw-man it, and thus ignore the value of the added complexity. And it's not as if RPE or DUP-type programs are rocket science. They improve recovery and help increase volume, increase muscle growth and reduce injuries.

If you were truly right, there would be people here who still programmed according to your logic, but all that's left here are new people who haven't yet figured out all the ways in which your post-novice programming is misguided. All the more experienced lifters grew to program differently and only stay here if they're SSCs reliant on your good will for financial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I don't get this. Do all of you people have stock in the RPE company or something? What is the bizarre obsession with somehow trying to browbeat Rip into completely up-ending SS's training approach and then having a pissy tantrum about it when you're unsuccessful?

Jesus, we know there are large swaths of people that don't like the guy, primarily for his various opinions and positions on many things, fine. I'm just extremely skeptical that their opinion of Rip would change, along with their behavior towards him, if in some moment of loss of principle and mental weakness, he put out a post saying he was abandoning the whole thing and conceding to the "consensus" in the S&C community and ::gasp: elite powerlifting circles.

What the fuck do you people want?
    Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    If you were truly right, there would be people here who still programmed according to your logic, but all that's left here are new people who haven't yet figured out all the ways in which your post-novice programming is misguided. All the more experienced lifters grew to program differently and only stay here if they're SSCs reliant on your good will for financial reasons.
    Satch, you're amazingly prescient. Perman, you're really bought-in.

When I tried RPE it just made me lift lighter than I was capable of for the first few weeks, then as I added weight the RPE got higher as it had to otherwise I would have still been using week 1’s weights. Then eventually I hit weights I could get stronger with, which was a RPE of 10 on the final set. Which put me right back to how I trained without RPE.

Didn't we already do all of this back in July? Getting that last rep

That was Nockian's thread, too.. Lol

Well the real question is whether this debate can continue on for another 5 pages so Rip finally loses faith in the boards, shuts them down, and follows his real dream of a tech startup with self driving cars delivering a gallon of milk to every home in America each day, because that's what he believes EVERYBODY needs to drink

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    Absurd. Accuracy would require testing of the output - actually doing the 10-RPE reps to failure after calling the RPE number, but somehow not biasing the result by making the call. Can’t be done.
    what's funny, is your modern RPE type programming genesis came from powerlifting (in general).

And its these people (coaches, programmers, athletes, etc) who frequently test their maxes at the end of a program, end of cycle, at a meet, mock meet, etc ....
    And do that periodically ... because its their sport or hobby. So if it such a bullshit way to train, you'd think that would bare itself out by now.

And what is doubly ironic, is that powerlifters test their strength by executing a 1RM at meet, with judges and whatnot.
    Whereas a novice or intermediates are just using 5's or 3x5 to gauge progress....in their garage or a commercial gym.

Your powerlifting crowd likely has the best real data, even according to the ultimate SS ideology:
    "strength is the ability to produce force against and external resistance"
    IOW: a 1RM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast